• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Speedfan

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

E4300

After reading in another thread that Speedfan is more accurate than coretemp for the e4300 processor because of coretemp reading the tjunction at 100, I decided to try it out.

I didn't run it at the same time as coretemp, so as to be sure there's no conflict.

Can someone please explain what temperatures it is measuring exactly? Which one is the CPU temperature? Is speedfan saying my cores are 19 and 20 degrees? :rolleyes: Also I'm particularly concerned about what is that AUX temperature with the fire symbol next to it. Appears to be some warning?

Btw, after I quit speedfan I restarted coretemp which measures at 35/34 degrees right now.

Attachments

• speedfan.JPG
    speedfan.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 317
Not sure what that AUX is but the times i have used speedfan: twice on my old board with a sempron and a64, that spot always showed a fire symbol. I think it has a certain temp reading were it does that? Both were ran on stock so i have no idea what was going on. The bottom two are your core temps. From what i understand which is all messed up with all the reading i have done lately. Speedfan reads T-Case where as Coretemp reads T-junction. According to a post i read T-case should read lower (+-15) than T-Junction, thus giving the difference in temps between the two. I do not think though that the readings could be exactly right at least at an idle. Because like others have said you can't; on air at least(?), run lower than your ambient temp. Hope this helps some. :shrug:

I don't think speedfan is right in your case cause 19*c is pretty cool (unless your house is colder than that). What revision e4300 do you have. As far as I know, none of the temp programs can be provan to be 100% correct. some have weird exceptions for like l2 revisions... some may or may not read tcase which may or may not be up to 15* off. It's all just too random. Some people claim that programs are reading directly from tjunc.... when I don't know how they could bypass the motherboard to do it... and even intel stated that the diodes at tjunc arn't calibrated, so they could read just about anything. the way intel does it is they put a probe on tcase and add 15* and hope thats correct (cause they guess it typically is 15* different).
In conclusion look at the temp and if it seems to be alot cooler than your room, it's probably not right, use a different program... and that fire thingy I have no idea what it is... grab a temp gun and start aiming at stuff till you find something in the 100* area. lol sorry I'm drunk.

E4300 -

Okay, here's what I know:

System = MB (as in AsusProbe-II)
CPU = CPU (as in AsusProbe-II)
TEMP = "no idea - doesn't shown on my SpeedFan even tho we have the same versions"
AUX = "no idea - it's always maxed out at 119"
HDD = HDD S.M.A.R.T temp (same value as measured in HDD utilities - as in HDD Health)
Core 0 = Core 0 offset adjusted (TAT/Core Temp - 15)
Core1 = Core1 offset adjusted (TAT/Core Temp -15)

So, to sum it up:

System and CPU measure the same as in AsusProbe-II
HDD measures the HDD S.M.A.R.T value
Core 0 and Core 1 are offset -15 from the Intel TAT and Core Temp values
TAT and Core Temp are identical in readings (T-Junction)

This is what I know. I'll leave it up to you to infer what you'd like from my observations.

BTW, you can adjust the "offset" in SpeedFan's Core 0 and Core 1 temps if they don't exactly read -15 from TAT/Core Temp, or change them to any other offset you may desire. You can also change the other temp offsets (i.e. HDD, etc), as well as choose diode types for other readings, if you believe your actual diode type is different from the one SpeedFan picks up automatically. The incorrect diode type may be the reason your CPU temp is so far off, but check with AsusProbe first, as I described above.

HTH,

~ Strat ~

Last edited:
Same with my e4300. Speedfan is ~15C lower than Coretemp (load/idle). My idle temps never go below ambient, they are usually ~5F above room temp. All the info I've read is pretty much summed up by akkuma's post. Coretemp seems a bit high and speedfan seems a bit low. Pretty confusing. I'm just going with stability at this point, unless I see smoking coming out my exhaust fans or something along those lines.

Back