• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dell Coupon Code trick.... Save BIG $$$$$ when ordering from dell!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blackjackel

Ok, so this is a follow up to an earlier thread that I posted about dell coupon codes, naturally I found out that people were selling dell coupon codes on Ebay. I went there and found the best coupon code was a 15% off code being sold for $10... I was buying over $1000 worth of equipment so that coupon was DEFINITELY worth $10. The problem was that it came with a BUNCH of restrictions, I couldn't buy this and that... so I had to call dell to see if I could apply this coupon code.

I called up dell and told them what I was purchasing and about the coupon, and to my amazement the guy simply said "well if I can get you that 15% off would you buy it right now?" so naturally I said yes....

And whalla, I saved over $200 JUST like that. I've done this before too, but last time I thought it was a fluke, and i didn't save anywhere near 15% or $200.

Just a cool trick I wanted to share with you guys.

It has been long known that the Dell phone salesmen are desperate to sell anything they can and will discount items to get you to buy them.

blackjackel said:
Ok, so this is a follow up to an earlier thread that I posted about dell coupon codes, naturally I found out that people were selling dell coupon codes on Ebay. I went there and found the best coupon code was a 15% off code being sold for $10... I was buying over $1000 worth of equipment so that coupon was DEFINITELY worth $10. The problem was that it came with a BUNCH of restrictions, I couldn't buy this and that... so I had to call dell to see if I could apply this coupon code.

I called up dell and told them what I was purchasing and about the coupon, and to my amazement the guy simply said "well if I can get you that 15% off would you buy it right now?" so naturally I said yes....

And whalla, I saved over $200 JUST like that. I've done this before too, but last time I thought it was a fluke, and i didn't save anywhere near 15% or $200.

Just a cool trick I wanted to share with you guys.
That's good to know if I'm in a rush to buy something and don't wanna mess with ebay. :) Thx!!

you might be able to sneak more in if you smooth talk them. also the first laptop i bought i forgot to add my student discount (this was in dell SMB) and i got someone from india or whereever trying to speak broken english to me, however, i did get 80 bucks off my order + overnight shipping on my laptop bag + my laptop which was close to 100+ dollars anywyas :) so it all depends on who or how desperate the person is to make a sale.

The dell reps work within percentages. They know exactly how much the item costs, and Dell Inc tells them exactly how low they can go. Of that I believe they get a healthy commission.

This is pretty awesome. I wish I had known this before I bought a 24" monitor from them a couple weeks ago. :( The monitor rocks though, so I guess I can't complain too much. :beer:

Yep yep.

My girlfriend works at a collection agency and at the end of the month they are all hungry over there to be over their budget so they can have a big commission cheack. so i guess it would be a good idea to call dell at the end of the month.
Also she can give settlement to anyone easily and i guess that dell reps can give you big discount without too much hassle. One must remember that reps are peoples too and to my personal experience with everything over the phone with big companies, if the reps you are talking to can not help you just hang up and call again as there's always someone ready to compromise on the other end of the line.

also I've read somewhere (i think i was some social engineering book or an email) that you must make the reps want to give you a nice deal just being nice to them are they are peoples too. So don't be shy and always try to bargain as asking never hurts. (most of the time)

The thing is, it's kind of deceptive.... I really did have the coupon code, only my "Friend" wasn't the one who had it... I could have just as easily gotten it though. So its just a little white lie or fib that saves you a heck of a lot of money without any hassle.

Unfortunately in the business world lies are not just common place, they're policy. Sales reps get paid to upsell and close the deal, not to convince you that what you have is fine and not to buy from them. Keeping that in mind, it's dog eat dog and for every person who haggles there's another buying full retail from their website. Dell and its reps aren't going bankrupt. You're doing nothing wrong.

The other Dell 'trick' is to negotiate a deal then use a Dell preferred account to get more off. Just pay it off right away their interest rate is a crazy 28% APR.

MadMan007 said:
their interest rate is a crazy 28% APR.

That might be YOUR rate. :p

That rate is based on your credit score. I think mine was 20%, and I know others paying less. It is a retail charge account, so I don't think they go any lower than 9.99%. Look for no interest deals, they offer them a lot and they're usually for 3 months --> a year.

ill look into buying some lcd's from them next time i need a monitor

now for my paypal can i link that to my bank account as i am only 16?

Pinky said:

That rate is based on your credit score. I think mine was 20%, and I know others paying less. It is a retail charge account, so I don't think they go any lower than 9.99%. Look for no interest deals, they offer them a lot and they're usually for 3 months --> a year.

I too happen to work for a collection agency (who happens to collect on Dell accounts) and want to caution anyone looking to do the "no interest for xx days" deals. Make SURE you pay off that debt before the time is up. On day 91 they will charge you retroactive interest from day one and are completely unforgiving when it comes to late charges (usually $25 to $35). I've seen many accounts where the original debt is ~$1400 that easily reach $3000+ after an 18 month default. Oh, and if you're one day late on a payment, they may just jack you up to 29.9% interest over night, regardless of your credit or original rate. /end disclaimer :beer: Oh and nice job on saving $200! That's always welcomed.

I ordered a desktop for work today...and got a wopping 2% off with our business account.

nd4spdbh2 said:
hmm i wonder how much i could haggle them down on a wfp2007 ... i should call em up and see. 15 - 20% maybe?

I highly doubt you'll be able to get away with 20%.... There's no such thing as a 20% off coupon and the only reason I was able to get away with 15% was because one existed.... Besides, it wasn't as easy as I said to get the 15% off... it took about 10 minutes or so... but if you do manage to get away with 20% please let us know here :)

Pinky said:

:shrug: either way it's terrible. I have a 6-year old mess up (my fault but it will go away in a year) on my credit still so maybe that's why, but I've gotten a few credit lines recently to get 0%/no payments, those inquiries may have decreased my score a bit, and I take the cash which I would have used to buy the items and put it in an investment fund. I always keep enough in reserve to pay those things off fully at any time, I refuse to do any 'future income' financing for luxury things like computer hardware and only buy them when I have the cash available anyway.

Yup Dell is willing to work with you. They can and will discount stuff to make a sale. I got 150$ off my XPS 1330 by simply calling them with my configuration on the specs I wanted and telling them this price is to high, what can you do for me. I also took advantage of the 12 months no interest. I will pay the min payments for 3-4 months and then just pay it off in full. I am only 21 years old, but my credit is already good, and it continues to rise. I hope by the time I buy my first house, my credit will be excellent and I am able to secure the loan. When you were in high school I never though I would excited to be thinking about buying a home, but man do things change. Credit is a great thing as long as you can manage everything properly by planning ahead ect...

Last edited:
nd4spdbh2 said:
hmm i wonder how much i could haggle them down on a wfp2007 ... i should call em up and see. 15 - 20% maybe?

I used this trick blackjackel mentioned when I bought my 2007fpw. I had found a coupon online that had expired, then told the Dell rep that I was going to find another one that hadn't expired, he just gave me the discount and gave me more, I negotiated no tax and free overnight shipping.

FYI: This was Dell business.

Back