• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

dead HD?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

overclucker

ok so this 200gb HD, it says it was made sep 14th 2003. And ive been getting HD controller errors for about 2 months now. Where the whole computer freezes. And this morning the whole computer just shut down. And when restart, it says Disk Read Error. Im running XP. So i attempted to do a repair on the disk. Couldnt read it. So i pulled it out, it was really hot to the touch. And when i shake it close to my ear, it sounds like something is loose like a DJ scratching a vinyl or something.

is it dead? :(

overclucker said:
ok so this 200gb HD, it says it was made sep 14th 2003. And ive been getting HD controller errors for about 2 months now. Where the whole computer freezes. And this morning the whole computer just shut down. And when restart, it says Disk Read Error. Im running XP. So i attempted to do a repair on the disk. Couldnt read it. So i pulled it out, it was really hot to the touch. And when i shake it close to my ear, it sounds like something is loose like a DJ scratching a vinyl or something.

is it dead? :(

i hooked it up to a pci disk controller... it didnt read it either...guess its dead..

haha. nice... and i was going to suggest putting it in the freezer as a last ditch effort. the fire was a much better idea. dayam. that thing is on fire! :D sweet.

Yeah broken hdd's tend to work after a night in the freezer. But only until they warm up, then they are broken for good. You could have saved some data :)

This method tends to work on older hard drives, not so much on newer models. The basic process by freezing the hard drive is it causes the components to shrink which can enable the track marker to align with the tracks again. I once had this method work back in about 1999 with Maxtor drive after freezing it for about 12 hours.

Sam__ said:
never heard that b4 lol how does that work? just cooling them?

Yeah but you need to make sure you don't have any ice on the contacts..
Otherwise you just put it in the freezer for a night, connect it to your pc and start backing up like mad. It should work until the hdd warms up, so it doesn't have much time.

I used that method once, but after the hdd was warm it was lost for good..

ohh thanks for telling me now! yeah i had some photos on there i wanted to keep... now they are gone! grr.... too bad meh.

heres the before and after pics.

hdandsunburn005.jpg

AFTER:

hdandsunburn006.jpg

maybe the freezer method will still work? :-/

overclucker said:
maybe the freezer method will still work? :-/
You never know until you try!!! I thought he was actually going to touch it!!!

Back