• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Restarting computer during backup?? Can someone please help?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mancslad08

Registered
Hi all,

Here's the story, I've got two hard disks, Windows on C:, my stuff on D:.

When I try backing up D:, it gets to a specific folder on D and just resets the computer with no warning. Instantly. I then try backing up every folder except that one and it works fine.

My question is, what is the problem do you think?

I assume it's a problem with my D hard disk, but it couldn't be the hard disk with Windows on (C) could it?

I only ask because I bought a new hard disk and want to know which of my two current ones I should get rid of. Also would it be possible to wipe D and that'd solve the problem?

Any help would be really appreciated please

Thanks very much

mancslad08 said:
Hi all,

Here's the story, I've got two hard disks, Windows on C:, my stuff on D:.

When I try backing up D:, it gets to a specific folder on D and just resets the computer with no warning. Instantly. I then try backing up every folder except that one and it works fine.

My question is, what is the problem do you think?

I assume it's a problem with my D hard disk, but it couldn't be the hard disk with Windows on (C) could it?

I only ask because I bought a new hard disk and want to know which of my two current ones I should get rid of. Also would it be possible to wipe D and that'd solve the problem?

Any help would be really appreciated please

Thanks very much
First, do you have Windows setup to NOT restart when it shows a BSOD (blue screen of death). If you have not, go to Start and right click "My Computer" and select Properties. Go to the "Advanced" tab and click the last of the three "Settings" button. This brings up a new window, uncheck "Automatically restart". Click "Ok" on the two windows to close them.

After you have done that (or if it was setup that way) backup that folder again and see if it shows you the blue screen. If it does, write down the information and post it here.

Back