• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My color 'while' is messed up 20"w lcd

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

velocicaur

Registered
Hey guys,

I just got a new 20" widescreen LCD monitor and a new 7600GT AGP. It looks awesome playing games and such, but when I am in excel or on google, the white is just crazy. Its too bright or something and just feels like it is eatting out my eyes. When I make it look okay by messing with the brightness, it messes up the games so that they are almost completely dark?

Anything that I can do to try and fix this?

Thanks

Edit: White - not while!

Last edited:
What exact kind of LCD is it? You probably need to adjust both Brightness AND Contrast to get things looking good all around.

bump up the gamma in game, it should be in video options.
or if your monitor has different image modes check for a "gaming mode" switch over and use it when gaming, this will automatically bump up the brightness a tad.

Its an Acer AL2016W. Its one of the cheaper ones, if not the cheapest.

I tried running the nvidia optimization, it still doesn't look right.

Thanks!

EDIT: The monitor does have text - standard - gaming - movies settings that do make quite a bit of a difference. When its on text mode, its still messed up.

Also, do I adjust the brightness and such on the monitor or on the video card?

Thanks again

velocicaur said:
Its an Acer AL2016W. Its one of the cheaper ones, if not the cheapest.

I tried running the nvidia optimization, it still doesn't look right.

Thanks!

EDIT: The monitor does have text - standard - gaming - movies settings that do make quite a bit of a difference. When its on text mode, its still messed up.

Also, do I adjust the brightness and such on the monitor or on the video card?

Thanks again
You want to change it from the monitor.

Okay, I've been messing with it some more. I put the contrast down to 0, brightness is at 36. It is quite a bit better. I changed everything on the nvidia back to default.

I searched a little and it said something about the refresh rates - mine is set at 60hz, and it cannot go any higher. Is this normal?

Finally, the monitor has warm/cool color settings, warm is the default. Is that what everyone uses?

Sorry for the questions,
Thanks

yep 60hz is normal
what i do is adjust brightness/contrast in "standard mode" for browsing, etc
then adjust the gamma in game if its slightly dark and if its still too dark switch to "gaming mode"

Leave warm asthe deafualt for now. Fiddle around with the brightness and contrast until you can bear to llok at the screen (sound like you where in acual physical pain) video options in the games will decrease/ increase gamma to a good level. 60hz is fine, although mine does 75, and theres no difference. good luck

Back