• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need to Buy DVD Burners

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Teh Governator

Registered
Hey guys/gals. I need to buy 2 different DVD burners for my new rig. Looking for something in the <$50 range so do you have any suggestions?

WHat about brand preferences? Software preferences? Any help would be great.

freakdiablo said:
RW or just R or doesnt make a difference? Any speed preference?

all burners burn both types of discs, so I don't know why you would ask that.

NEC burners were liked for a while, but now they are made by sony. probably still good. samsung is good too, as is lite on. if you can find any plextor burners for under 50 by all means grab them

freakdiablo said:
RW or just R or doesnt make a difference? Any speed preference?

Well the faster the better. I would prefer is to burn both +/- and also DVD-RAM. I would also like SATA.

Thanks for the help.

I have two LH-20A1L-06.

They do seem a little loud. I haven't heard any other drives so, maybe it's me.

I've always preferred Lite-On, guess it's a carry-over from the CD burner days.

Sony is what we use at work and we have VERY few of them (hundreds sold a month) come back to us for problems.

Pretty much nil, since you don't get even close to saturating the IDE line with a optical disk drive, so extra bandwidth of SATA is useless, afaik.

Thund3rball said:
I'd go for the LG. Samsung writers have not gotten as good reviews as LG and Pioneer, plus with that drive you picked your paying for Lightscribe which is a pointless feature IMO.

I'm building a brand new rig so I wanted at least 1 drive to have Lightscribe.

Lighhtscribe only adds 2-3 bucks to the price, no big deal.

Bought the LG for 37 and the Samsung for 36 with a free 1GB flash drive. Not bad IMO.

Back