• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does 4 x 250GB Make Sense Here?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

leftheaded

I'm building a pc with the intent of doing photo/video editing. but i'm also going to game some.

my shopping cart has four 250GB ST3250410AS 7200.10 segates, and I intend to Matrix RAID 0 with 5or1. I'm not worried about backup on this machine.. i plan to use another box for that purpose.

given my intended use, does this make sense? or should I just opt for two 500GB?

hmm... ok. it was this post that got me thinking on getting a bunch of these particular dirves
another
more

I like the idea that sjvarley has their sig too.. with the hot spare

any word on when the new 7200.11 series stuff from seagate will start shipping? i want these if i go 2x500GB: 500GB Seagate 7200.11 ST3500320AS (bels 2.5/2.8)

Well if you're building it for speed, 2 RAID0 setups would work best for your purpose.

Thund3rball said:
I don't think you have to wait for 7200.11. I believe the latest models of the 7200.10 series have the same benefits as the 7200.11. There's even a thread about it in here somewhere.

Edit: Here it is http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=512211
thanks, i'm reading though that thread now. my basis was the datasheet info at seagate.com. not just performance, but the noise factor of the 7200.11 vs the 7200.10 500GB gives an edge to the 7200.11.. anything to cut down the noise and keep the performance is a good thing to me.

Hiya mate

Good to see the PC is now going strong!

I am using the 4 x 250Gb drives setup, (per sig) and it is fantastic!

The only upgrade I would consider, is to either the 7200.11 drives (4 again) or 4 Raptors, set up the same way with a decent external e-Sata for backing up onto. Hey as another option, throw two e-Sata drives at the beast... one for storage and the other for backing up., but 4 x drives (in a Matrix) rock!

Back