• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does this strategy make sense?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JeremyCT

I just want to make sure I haven't quite lost it yet. I've been eyeing an upgrade to my 780ti for a little while now. Having the same GPU for two years is about as long as I typically go. I'm an nVidia guy, so my eye has been on the 1070. With mining being profitable at the moment, even on nVidia stuff, I'm considering buying the 1070 and immediately slapping it into my old QX9650 rig with a 750ti I have collecting dust. Point the thing at Nicehash with their autominer and let it whir in the basement until the market either crumbles again or it's paid off. Profit calculators indicate that given my power costs, both cards are profitable at the moment.

The cool thing if the market does bomb again is that I just take the 1070 out and slap it into my main rig for the upgrade I wanted and I've made some money on the side. In my head, this sounds reasonable, but my head has been known to be weird about rationalizing such things. I would never ask my lady if this makes sense, so I ask you guys instead. Which, ok, might be like a fat man on a diet asking his other fat friend if he should eat that pizza, but whatever, if more than just myself can rationalize this successfully this I'll feel better.

Last edited:
Should be chomping away on Monday if all goes to plan.

Just need to decide Windows 10 or Windows 7 for OS? It seems W10 has some issues with Ethereum. I'd do Linux, but I need remote desktop to work and I think it'll be easier with a Windows machine. I've never managed to get remote desktop working from my Windows 10 machine on a Linux box.

I tried Windows 10, but I don't have a valid key. I tried running it without a key and it'll allow you to install, but it must hold some updates back or something because I never got the nvidia drivers to install. "Not compatible with this version of Windows". A rummage through stuff revealed some Windows 8.1 Pro keys from when Technet was actually useful, so I'll be going with that. If necessary I can upgrade it to Windows 10, but I'm not sure that's needed.

I don't have any problems with Eth on win10. Try teamviewer?
With TeamViewer on Win10 i couldnt bring up the task bar from autohide on the remote machine. That was quite some time ago though. Worked fine between 'buntu and Windows. I also had fairly good luck with No Machine and recently Any Desk (Windows to Linux). No Machine was a no go for 'buntu 17.04 though. Any Desk did work. Im going to test out more soon and can let you know if you what works if you like. If I cant find a remote desktop that I like Im gonna have to roll back to 16.04 so I might test alot :D

Remote and main computer will both be running Windows, I'm thinking the built-in option will probably be best. The W8.1 machine is currently churning through updates, so setting up remote access is coming soon enough.

I tried various option to remote between Window and *nix in the past. Nothing worked. I eventually gave up and went a whole different route.

EDIT: Holy shnikes, I forgot how long new install updates take on a C2D with HDD for storage. Maybe I'll finish setting it up tomorrow.

Last edited:
And my best cards are still in the freaking basement instead of being gamed on, lol.

Yep. It's been known to give me some indigestion at times though, like yesterday and today.

When I decided to upgrade last year from my older card to a new one, I started mining at that time and haven't turned back since. Though recently I might kill it because its almost to the point its costing more to run and its summer. Starting to warm the basement up ever so slightly more now. Still its interesting and hey if it helps pay for the card, PC upgrades, or even something else why not do it as long as you can take the heat/noise on the system.

Welp, the profitability threshold has been crossed. It now costs me more in electricity than I get in crypto, and the box has been powered down. Unless prices rebound soon and significantly, it looks like I'll finally get to game on some Pascal hardware just in time for the next gen stuff to come out.

Welp, the profitability threshold has been crossed. It now costs me more in electricity than I get in crypto, and the box has been powered down. Unless prices rebound soon and significantly, it looks like I'll finally get to game on some Pascal hardware just in time for the next gen stuff to come out.

Bah can always game on the hardware, just disable it for 1-2 hours and game, turn it back on and profit.
Anyways yeah. My threshold was just met yesterday with only $20 profit... I was ok with $40+ a month but that is just getting too low for my increase of $50 in electric bill. Sure could make some nice returns if it does spike but the difficulty is getting up there for me as well so its hard to justify it.

Yea, same. I haven't sold all my holdings, just enough enough make some money and pay for the hardware. If it does surge again I'll have something to cash out. Who knows how many boom/bust cycles this stuff has in it before it fizzles. The current regulatory landscape sure doesn't help though.

I can't mine on my main machine. Despite whitelisting folders and whatnot, Bitdefender will NOT allow it. Kaspersky didn't care, I shouldn't have switched. Bitdefender's tech support was useless on the issue. First they couldn't figure out why I was upset, then they insisted it was a Trojan, then they denied me a refund because I spent three weeks going back and forth with tech support and passed the tlrefund date.

Maybe I should take some of my crypto earnings and buy a more useful AV package, but I hate feeling like the money was wasted. I need the filters and parental controls of the paid versions to keep the kids out of trouble. The crypto box just had Windows Defender.

Last edited:
Haven't been around here for a long time, but I have been mining for the last while.
Currently mining with 1060 3/6, 1070ti, 1080ti, 570 4/8, 580 4/8. (30ish cards)
Some comments on the conversation above.
Windows 10 pro is all I use for mining.
You can download windows 10 from Microsoft and not activate it, but it will let you do all you need to do for mining...…..you just can't personalize it.
Windows defender eats most mining programs now (you need to tell defender to leave the folder it is in alone).
Currently the return on investment for mining is lousy (unless you have free power.....then you can expect about a year for ROI).
Nicehash is the devil, just mine the coin you want directly and sell for $ or btc.
I would be happy to try to answer any other questions.

Back