• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vid Card Slowing Down System?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fr3@k3r

im hummin along with my 7100GS (budget to the max)

but my system seems decently slow...

X2 3600+
2GB DDR2 667
6-8 Sata HDD's (Gotta check again LOL)
7100GS

is that whats slowing my system down? the 7100?

running windows XP PRO SP2 with only 29 processes running..

im thinking thats the problem.. but it might be all the hdd's..

would a faster vidoe card help at all?

Video card won't speed up your system unless you have shared memory and it takes lots of it. If it is gaming that you are concern then new gfx might improve performance.

It would make the system faster in gaming but thats it. Im running onboard and I have no lag at all on my system.

Mr. Roboto said:
Yeah, define slow.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slow

Slow can refer to:
  • The Canadian band, Slow (band)
  • The Finnish producer and DJ, Slow (Producer & DJ)
  • A low speed or tempo
  • Having mental retardation
  • The Slow River
  • Slow motion
  • The song Slow by Kylie Minogue
  • The Slow Movement, a grouping of social movements which emphasize alternative approaches to a range of issues, such as the Slow Food and slow company movements (see also voluntary simplicity)
  • Slowness, a novel by Milan Kundera.

Fr3@k3r said:
... define slow..

well no gaming on my HTPC but it seems to be like windows slow.. where stuff seems to take forever to start and such..

Then it's not your video card, it wouldn't have any effect on that.

There is a difference between OS slow, and Video display slow.

Usually, the OS slow is caused by running out of available memory and having to swap to the page file on the hard drive to load up programs.

Video slow in Window$, would be: you start a program, border of the program window is displayed, but nothing within the window itself is displayed yet, then, either piece by piece or in a unrolling window fashion, the program itself finally appears on your screen. This can also be caused by having to swap to the page file though. A good way to test this, is to load a very large image at its full size, and scroll the window all around. If the video card isnt up to the task, there will be lots of tearing, very rough scrolling, missing parts of the image for some time while the display catches up, etc.

Personally, the system specks you give, I dont think the video card is the culprit. Do some spring cleaning on your system, especially defraggin the drive(s). And if that doesnt cure the slow, check to see how much memory your system is using. To do this, open Task Manager, goto the Performance tab, and look at the Commit Charge box.

Total is the amount of memory your system is currently using.

Limit is the total amount of memory your system has, ram and page file together.

Peak is the maximum amount of memory your system has used at any point in time since reboot.

If the peak exceeds your total installed Physical Memory, or is constantly near that value, you need more ram. You want to avoid swapping completely, although there are some things that Window$ will swap even if you have more then enough available physical ram.

Other suggestions; put the swap file on your least used/faster drive seperate from where the main OS and programs are installed. Close unnecessary programs and review all the programs which are loaded and stay resident even though they dont really serve a purpose (lots of companies out there install useless programs that wont affect the main program if thier not loaded, ie Adobe and thier quick laucher program [like >1 second faster loading of Acrobat will be noticeable...]). You'll need to check the Startup folder, as well as the Run portion in your registry (you can also type "msconfig" and disable programs that are ran at startup that way too if you dont know how to fiddle with your registry). You can also check out this article and disable unnecessary/unused services on your system. Run windows with the Classic shell and no eye candy enabled instead of the modern XP theme with all its eye candy (this is really useful if you use the HTPC all the time with a media type frontend and dont goto the normal Window$ desktop at all).

If I think of anything else, I'll post it up later. ;)

well i was thinking the video card because it uses system ram along with onboard ram.

Physical Memory Available is useually around 1.5GB all the time..

Commit Charge: #'s are

Total: 359600
Limit: 4034072
Peak: 632376

as for defraggin, the hdd's are on schedual to be defragged every night around 12am to 5am..

so it has to be something..

Is it possible that Windows would use pagefile instead of RAM?

Just wondering...

Yes your video card is slowing you down. Shared memory is the death of any system, especially one with 8000 hard drives doing I/O operations to main memory. Why so many drives ?

Back