• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme fan clips

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pntgrd

Does anybody know anyplace that carries these? I would like to try a push/pull setup with some Yate's when I get around to setting up my Q6600 stuff. I have found places that carry TR clips but nothing for the Ultra 120. 120XP yes but not the Ultra. The Thermalright site shows them for $2 but no way to buy them direct.

Are people getting significantly better temps with 2 fans on there? I bought a 2nd one but ended up placing it somewhere else in my case.

Maverick0984 said:
Are people getting significantly better temps with 2 fans on there? I bought a 2nd one but ended up placing it somewhere else in my case.
replacing a single "push" fan with a fan having much higher airflow will net better results than a push-pull setup with the two weaker fans, from what I've tried before. If your single fan is already pushing 60, 70+ cfm though, adding another "pull" fan won't result in much of a temperature drop

replacing a single "push" fan with a fan having much higher airflow will net better results than a push-pull setup with the two weaker fans, from what I've tried before. If your single fan is already pushing 60, 70+ cfm though, adding another "pull" fan won't result in much of a temperature drop
It might not, but isn't it the whole purpose of this hobby, to try things? That's why I like the "rubber band" idea, easy to try and no $$ outlay. The fan I will probably try first is a 120x38 Sanyo-Denki that has a gutted 120x25 casing glued to it for a spacer. But I also have some Loons and some Antec Tri-Cools that I can play with.

I had kinda gotten away from bleeding edge air overclocking. It started when I first got my Antec P160. Classy case that I really like but air flow is not the best. Then i got an oak rolltop desk and put the system in the compartment. Then I went to a 7800GT SLI setup and it started getting like an oven in that compartment. And with it in the desk it was such a PITA to get out, I quit tinkering with it. You know the story. But when I decided to build a Q6600 system, beacuse every one seems to be having so musc fun with them, I did what I should have done a long time ago and pulled the case out of the desk. I have even now gone and ordered a Stacker 830 EVO to fix my airflow problem. And with it now not in the desk and easier to get to, I will probably spend some time playing with different setups. It's nice to be back. :)

shirker said:

Ya, I'm just using the S-Flex F series everyone was raving about.

The 1600RPM version. I forget what the CFM was exactly, but it was definitely north of 50.

Maverick0984 said:
Ya, I'm just using the S-Flex F series everyone was raving about.

The 1600RPM version. I forget what the CFM was exactly, but it was definitely north of 50.

Ive got the same in push pull. Each one is secured with one clip and the whole thing is wrapped with a thick band rubber band. Seems to work fine for me.

The F series are rated 63.7CFM.
http://www.scythe-usa.com/product/acc/002/sflex_detail.html

Surfrider77 said:
Ive got the same in push pull. Each one is secured with one clip and the whole thing is wrapped with a thick band rubber band. Seems to work fine for me.

The F series are rated 63.7CFM.
http://www.scythe-usa.com/product/acc/002/sflex_detail.html

hmm, okay, I'll test it out when I get home. The 2nd fan is just there for piece of mind in a different spot, I doubt it is being effective.

My thoughts on various fan configurations.

On something like a slow/quiet fan setup (ie Yate Loon 7v), adding push-pull picked up a nice solid 3c off load temps for me--which I thought was pretty nice because I personally can't hear either 1 or 2 7v Yate loons. All this was done with a hot little e4300, I'd bet even more significant temp differences with a quad core.

navig

Last edited:
I got 2-3C off of it by moving the fan. Nothing major, but I'll take it.

As a side note, I'd never actually purchase those clips. They are pretty much quite possibly the worst mounting device I've ever seen. Actually, it's a wonder Thermalright did so well with this heat sink. The mounting mechanism of the heat sink itself is not exactly an engineering wonder either, heh.

Back