• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Chipset fan acting up, what to do?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dan0512

Recently, my chipset fan has started making this awful grinding noise when I start my computer. It doesn't do it always, it goes away if I restart the computer or reconnect the fan, but I predict the fan is faulty and going to quit soon.

So what do you think I should do? Would I have to send my whole mobo for RMA to Asus if I wanted the fan fixed? Or should I just throw it away and get a new one?

Speaking of which, does anyone know if the A8N-Sli heatpipe coolers are available separately? They would fit my mobo and cut down on the noise.

dan

Take the easy path and just replace the fan.

No sense taking your mobo out. That's 10 times the work!

The HR-05 and HR-05 SLI are great heatsinks, and silent if you don't use a fan - not included but not really necessary either.

Thanks for the input guys. The problem is, I need a heatsink which isn't very tall, because the chipset is right under my 7900gtx's heatsink, which would probably allow 2cm height at most.

dan

Back