• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Linux Wireless Help?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zoris

I'm running a dual-boot system, vista and ubuntu 7.04, and my wireless internet will not work on ubuntu. It recognizes my wireless card and wireless network, but when it tries to connect it fails. What can I do to make it connect?

Earlier I thought it was that I had to install the drivers with ndiswrapper, but someone else told me that ndiswrapper was working and this is another problem..

What wireless card are you using? Whats the security on the router? WPA? or WEP? (or none)

I had to reboot after seeing the network and inputting my wep. Everything looked right, but it just wouldn't work.

After reboot, the settings I input previously were still there and it connected without issue.

I've tried rebooting. Doesn't work.

My wireless card is a linksys model number WMP54G. I don't know what security my router is... But it has a passcode (I entered it correctly and then ubuntu tried to connect without success)

You are probably setting the wrong encryption mode. I have the wmp54g also, and my wireless worked fine - so we should be able to make this work.

What security did you select? Your wireless security is probably 128wep.

You should pull up your router config in a browser and figure out the kind of encryptions you are using. The two main types are WEP and WPA. WPA is superior by far; WEP can be cracked easily. You can also check how many bits the passkey is and you can check whether, if you are using WPA, you are using AES or TKIP, which are different variants of WPA.

You need to know this information to configure it correctly.

Ubuntu gives three options for wep I believe. There are two 64bit option, and one 128bit selection.

So even if you are using basic open wep, you still have to choose appropriately. If you can't find out which one you are using on the router, I would try one, input your wep, reboot, and do that with each option until you find you connect without issue.

I.M.O.G. said:
Ubuntu gives three options for wep I believe. There are two 64bit option, and one 128bit selection.

So even if you are using basic open wep, you still have to choose appropriately. If you can't find out which one you are using on the router, I would try one, input your wep, reboot, and do that with each option until you find you connect without issue.

I have tried all three, without success.

Have you messed with ndiswrapper or anything else that would change how the wireless is managed by default? A plain vanilla 7.04 install should have no issue doing wep with that card, so there's some other variable at play we aren't seeing here.

Slightly off topic, but depending on which version of the wmp54g card you have, there is likely a linux driver for it and you won't have to use ndiswrapper. I couldn't say about all versions, but I have version 4.1 of the card, and am using the rt61 driver.

The thing is someone I know who has a limited knowlege of ubuntu says that ndiswrapper is working but there is some other factor that is keeping my internet from working; he suggested trying to find a solution online. Alas, I have found none.

I think the ideal solution is to not install ndiswrapper... Its not necessary to run your hardware. If you remove it you should find the wireless just works, unless the installation or uninstall breaks something.

I don't have ndiswrapper installed. Or so my friend says.

I'm a real noob at linux...

I'm more or less a linux newb as well, but here's my shot at helping. First lets see if ndiswrapper is running, working or not. There seems to be some confusion about that at the moment.

First, try out
Code:
lsmod
in a terminal window. This will give you a list of modules that are running. I would assume that ndiswrapper wasn't compiled into your kernel, so it should list here if it is running. after you check that list, just for kicks you can try
Code:
sudo ps ax
which will list every process that is running. Check that list for anything that looks like ndiswrapper.

If you want to get brave after checking those lists [regardless of finding 'wrapper or not] you should open up your case and check which version of the WMP54G you have. You might have to pull the card out of its pci slot to find the sticker. After you figure out which version it is, I/we can figure out if there is a linux driver or if you need to have ndiswrapper working.

As previously stated, I'm a newb myself, so these tidbits might not be the best way to go about things.

I would take this to ubuntuforums.org and mention what you've done so far. There will be more experienced folks there who can assist you more accurately and quickly.

I'm still confused. Is he trying to access a WPA or WEP network?

He hasn't posted an lsmod so we don't know if his wireless card drivers are even installed correctly.

Its hard to help someone if you don't know what they are connecting to.

On a computer that can connect, go to your routers page. Either 192.168.0.1, 192.168.1.1, or 192.168.2.1. There some where it will tell you your settings.

What router do you have? We can give you step by step instructions if you give us the info we need.

I.M.O.G. said:
I would take this to ubuntuforums.org and mention what you've done so far. There will be more experienced folks there who can assist you more accurately and quickly.

Tried that. Three times. Three different weeks. No replies.

You need to establish beyond any doubt what type of encryption scheme your router is using. That's your first step. Then we can go from there. If we don't know that, it's impossible to go further.

Back