• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How am i doing on my E6600 OC?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Oc1Kenube

I just got an E6600 yesterday and have managed to get to 3.43ghz 5 hours+ orthos stable and although the temps are quite high im not too concerned as i plan to lap the ihs on the cpu and drop the voltage a little from 1.38v then hopefully my Ultra 120 Extreme will do its part then i will enable speedstep to extend life of the cpu.

So how does your E6600 perform and do you think i can push mine any further?

3.43.jpg

Exactly the same, i can post pics if you like as it's still running now. my 3 wk old son is keeping us up all night and its now 4.30am so thought id post a few topics and monitor my oc :O)

Edit

64.jpg

Might just be me but 1.38V seems a bit steep for only 3.4 on a E6600.

Try 1.36 or 1.35. Should drop temps enough that you dont need to lap the IHS and can keep your warranty. :thup:

Excellent OC. Temps are a bit rough, but looks really good.

thats the next step ill get thos temps down, 1 way or another. Im going to drop the voltages first then im going to add a second 120mm fan to my u120, then ill lap that sucker if all else fails or maybe just for the heck of it lol

Dropped vcore and got my temps down to 60-62c at load just need to figure a way to attach a second 120mm fan to my ultra extreme now

60.jpg

I just got an E6600 yesterday and have managed to get to 3.43ghz 5 hours+ orthos stable and although the temps are quite high im not too concerned as i plan to lap the ihs on the cpu and drop the voltage a little from 1.38v then hopefully my Ultra 120 Extreme will do its part then i will enable speedstep to extend life of the cpu.

Extend the life of the cpu... to WHAT exactly? These things have been out for a year now and I have yet to see anyone who hasn't physically damaged their chips die on them. Hell... my goal is to run my E6400 for three years. It's entirely likely I'll buy a new chip before then... but I don't think there's a chance in hell of the cpu... or almost any other c2d... dying in anything short of the next FIVE YEARS. (I'd actually say 10.)

And 3.4 ghz is alright I guess since you have it stable... but this isn't an E6300. You should be up at 3.6ghz 24/hr stable. 3.6 used to be the max for my E6400 (before I hit 3.76) so it should be your 24/hr stable speed.

What you should be doing is finding out what your max overclock is and clocking down from there. You don't have to worry about getting the damned thing stable because, without finding out what your max is, you have no idea what you should be trying to GET stable. You may find the CPU runs at the exact same temps and voltage with 3.6ghz and here you've been dicking around with 3.4 all this time. (My former 24/7 overclock was 2.8ghz then I found out my max was 3.64 and my temps were identicle to 2.8 at 3.2 so now THAT's my 24/7 speed.)

I hit 3.4ghz at about 1.35 volts if that's what you want to stick too. Depending on your VID an E6600 should be able to do that easy. THAT would bring your temps down.

What's your idle?

cable/zip ties

Where the hell does one buy zip ties? :shrug:

Idle temps are currently 40c i can post at 3.53 but my P5w dh wont play ball after 390 fsb although i am going to try some pencil mods later to see if i can bump the vmch to see if that helps.

Just out of curiosity what do you consider max safe load temps? i have read that 70c is ok but most prefer under 65c is this correct?

Idle temps are currently 40c i can post at 3.53 but my P5w dh wont play ball after 390 fsb although i am going to try some pencil mods later to see if i can bump the vmch to see if that helps.

Just out of curiosity what do you consider max safe load temps? i have read that 70c is ok but most prefer under 65c is this correct?

After wrestling with this thing for a whole year I would say anything under 70 is good when you're benching. But for 24/7 I'd certainly want to hover around 65c load. Keep in mind your temps probably won't ever be as high as they are during Orthos as it really stresses the whole chip.

I'd say 40c is pretty damned safe for an idle temp. I've been running my E6400 all year long at 47-50c idle and 64c load with absolutely no problems. It runs like a 66 chevy.

I'm glad I didn't get the P5W DH... I had heard the P975s were having trouble reaching high FSB. Make sure your bios is up to date and try that volt mod.

So far I've hit 520 FSB on my DS3 (P965) at 7x multi or 470@8x. So there is something to be said for the P965 series (and since the P35s are out now you can get the P965s dirt cheap.)

Last edited:
Yeah i wish i had not bought the P5w although that said it is rock solid and i have had very few problems with it, im thinking of buying a P5b deluxe if i can pick one up cheap enough and if not ill go with a p35 but tbh 3.4ghz is still more cpu than i need for any game or app currently.

Ive just flashed to 2006 bios and im going to go try the vmch vmod now ill report back with the results later on cheers for the advice rainless, oh and nice Oc on the E6400

Edit cant get the vmch pencil mod to work :O(

Last edited:
Back