• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooling Questions (New GFX Card)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MatthewRM

Registered
Currently I am running a system with the following specs:

Motherboard: Intel Desktop Board D915PBL with 1 PCI Express* x16 bus ad-in card connector

Processor: Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.40GHz(2 CPUs)

Memory: 1022MB RAM

Graphics Card: Sapphire RADEON X800 (256 MB)

Cooling: (2) 80mm exhaust fans, (1) 80mm intake on left side

I just ordered a 8800 Ultra GFX card and am very worried about the heat issue.

I downloaded Mother Board monitor 5 and it did not have my Motherboard as an option so i just pick the closest one in the list to what I had and it tells me currently my case temp is 105 F, and CPU is 136F.
I'm not sure how correct they are due to the fact that my motherboard is not the one I selected.

The only thing i'm running is Firefox and Ad-Aware.

The 80mm fans I have are all stock and 2 years old. I cant feel any air from the exhaust fans if I hold my hand 12 inches away.

I would love to upgrade to 120mm fans but I don't think my case will fit them the holes are the size of 80mm fans only... :-(

Any ideas on how to better use air to cool this thing down?
Are there better 80MM fans out there?
Whats a good air flow rate for an 80mm fan?

Thanks for the help guys

There are plenty of good 80 fans, you can get a faster one and use fan controller to find the best settings for you.

I would go for Sanyo denki, zalman, scythe.

Yate-Loon 80cm fans work really well too considering their noise level.

Can you post a picture of your case and components?

Are you sure your power supply can even handle that new card?

I would be more worried about actually powering the video card than cooling it. Worse come to worse you can just leave the case open and point a house fan at it; but all that cooling is useless if your power supply blows up and takes the rest of your system and new 8800 along with it.

bryan d

dsc02943zr4.jpg

dsc02942vy9.jpg

Here are my current pics, with the X800 GFX card. The 8800 Ultra is not here yet.

Can anyone offer any ideas for cooling this rig off a bit better?

I just got finished running a game for about 2 hours and Mother Board Monitor said my temps were as follows:

CPU: 145 F
Chipset: 111 F
Case: 105 F

I'm getting a bit worried about putting the 8800 Ultra in there and adding to the heat.

Back