• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

$520 to spend. Help me decide on a CPU.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OneArmedScissor

As of right now, I have decided to get the following:
DFI Infinity P35
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16813136038

Crucial Ballistix 2GB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16820146565

Now... I'm not sure what CPU to get. More to the point, I'm not entirely sure if I should go Dual Core or push on through with a Xeon X3210.
The only thing I am worried about is the cooling situation with the Xeon. And yes, I do plan on overclocking the **** out of this system, regardless of which CPU I get.

I don't think I can really afford to get a pretty solid after market cooler because school is starting back up and I do have to spend $300+ on books, which greatly limits the amount of money I can spend on my new rig.
But... Then again, I am hopeful with the cooling situation. With my current system (see sig.), I'm idling at 22-24 degrees celcius with stock HS/Fan and with some case modifications and stuff. Typically, it doesn't go over 32*C, and only on rare occasions does it rise past 35*C. But then again, that is with a dual core, and not a quad core.

Any input and/or insight would be greatly appreciated!

I'd say the quad ;)

If you get a decent to good air cooler, your only going to be 400-800 under the dual core. I'll tell you right now that I'd trade in 400-800mhz for twice as many cores ;)

Also remember that these quads and dual put out way more heat that that opteron :)

It all comes down to what you will be doing on the computer. Are you going to be using programs that can utilize those extra two cores? If no, then I wouldn't bother with it :D

I'd suggest the quad, either the x3210 or the q6600.

Maybe run with the stock cooler now and upgrade in a couple months?

Agree with a quad, G0 Q6600 or a G0 X3210, both can go to 3.6 without too much trouble, cooling is key here, get a decent air cooler, Ultra 120, or similiar, the quads get pretty toasty:mad:

Well... I guess you guys have convinced me!
Can you list some sites that guarantee G0 X3210s?

Thanks in advance!

I should also mention that I now have a $600 budget. I will hold off on buying some of my books till later in the year, when I actually need them.

Well you may want to make sure on those priorities there however that's up to you, if it lets you get an aftermarket cooler and you're sure it's ok then :soda:

My q6600 does an easy 3GHz with the stock cooler, it gets somewhat warm in the upper 60s but that was with a pretty high ambient too. The voltage is pretty low though at 1.2250 so not every CPU might match that. For better oc than that you'll want an aftermarket cooler.

saveateagle.com

Tankguys

It looks like TankGuys is still on backorder. Saveateagle looks like they have them in stock, though!

I just ordered the X3210 G0 from Saveateagle.com. Hopefully it finds me very quickly! Also, I ordered the RAM and mobo and a new Harddrive from new egg.

I'm gonna go ahead and wait on the after market HSF until I get some more money.

I'll let you guys know how the overclocking turns out, especially on the new P35 DFI board!

Back