• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Slotket confusion

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

slim_lim

I have a Abit BH6 mobo and an old mid-tower case, and I need a slotket to mount a Cel900 FCPGA CPU on it. I've read that some slotkets are too tall and will not fit cases like mine. This seems probable, since right now I have a Slot 1 Cel300a installed and there's at most 1cm of space between it and the power supply. If the slotket is any taller, it won't fit!
Please help me! Which slotket that I can get is small enough to fit? It can't be much taller than a SEPP Celeron.
I've hear that Asus S-370DL is a low-profile version that will fit any mobo. I've also heard that Giga-byte GA-6R7 pro is a clone of S-370-DL (but is as good?) so it should be low-profile also. Is that true?
Also, do you think the retention mechanism that currently holds my Cel300a will work with the slotket as well?
Thanks to anyone who can help!

I've never heard of a problem with an Asus slotket. I don't know enough about Gigabyte to tell ya much about them, but same goes, never heard of a problem. Slotkets work with JUST ABOUT any motherboard made for slot 1 processors. Your retention clip should be fine, I believe Asus slotkets use the retention clips themselves. Generally slotkets are roughly the same size as slot one processors since they have to fit in the same area a slot 1 processor does, including height.

Thanks guys. Could any of you other readers who use slotkets please post their dimensions too, so I can pick the smallest. Asus sounds like it might fit but just barely. What about MSI?
P.S. Just got my Cel900 from newegg.com. My, that Intel HS is sure a big one - almsot 2 3/4 in. across. One more thing to worry about fitting in.
Oh, and one more thing. How do you read the CPU temperature? Do you need any special device installed?

Last edited:
OK I was in the same situation.

Although the DL can be found at stsi.com and search slotket.

I also have an old mid tower and it wasn't great and the heatsink may hit or not hit. Although if you don't bring your comp around you can bring your psu and take the case off and mount it on the top of the case so it's like a mid-tower imitation.

Good advice about the HS, tsunami, though I pray it won't come to that. If it doesn't fit just barely, I think I may have another solution: my mobo is mounted on a metal plate (for the lack of a better word) that screws to the right side of the case. I could use washers and longer screws to mount it a little farther away from the PS. No sure the the right cover will close after that, but we'll see. *EDIT* Nah, never mind, I looked at it and doing this would misalign the ports.
Meanwhile I need to find a slotket that sits as low as possible!

Last edited:
slim_lim said:
Good advice about the HS, tsunami, though I pray it won't come to that. If it doesn't fit just barely, I think I may have another solution: my mobo is mounted on a metal plate (for the lack of a better word) that screws to the right side of the case. I could use washers and longer screws to mount it a little farther away from the PS. No sure the the right cover will close after that, but we'll see. *EDIT* Nah, never mind, I looked at it and doing this would misalign the ports.
Meanwhile I need to find a slotket that sits as low as possible!

Trust me the PSU is very easy you just take the case off unscrew the psu from the case and run the wires to the "roof" of the case..

So I do need an extra probe to see CPU temp on BH6? :( I downloaded Motherboard Monitor and it detects 2 sensors: I assumed one was for Case temp and the other for CPU. However something is up with the CPU sensor -- it always shows the same temp (56C) no matter how much I stress the CPU or increase the voltage. Guess it's not working, but why does the program detect it then?
Think I could get a probe at a local electronics store like fry's? Don't feel like paying the shipping on such a small item. How do you install one anyway?

The BH6 doesn't have a temp probe for the cpu, nor does it monitor the cpu diode either. All it has is a board mounted thermistor to measure the case temps. You will have to get a slf-contained monitor with a probe if you want to watch the cpu temp.

you could always just get a new case...you can find a nice roomy generic case with 300W PSU for about $50 or you can get a nice Antec case for $100

Come on, peeps, post the dimensions of your different slotkets. It's really IMPORTANT! :burn: Please!?!

your cele FC is soket 370, the socket it fits into is as tall as the
300A. You add another 1/2" for the slot one contacts, =2 3/4"
I have Soyo and Soltek, both measure about 2 7/8 tall.

Thanks pappypete! That sounds like it would fit - barely. The top of the slotket would be in full contact with the PS and pressing down on each other. Guess that Intel HS would not fit - it extends 1cm up and down from where it would sit on top of a 370 socket. Unless there's already 1cm of PCB between the 370 socket on the slotket and the slotket top within the same measurements. Oh well, replacing a heatsink is easier than replacing the case. Any suggestions for a nice small (50x50mm base or so, so that it doesn't extent upwads from the slotket) HSF, in case Intel won't fit? I'd like it to be quiet too.
Anyone with an MSI slotket? I've been combing newsgroups and read those were even shorter - 5mm taller than PII/Celeron Slot 1 cartridge. Can you please confirm?
Man, something tells me this upgrade is going to be a pain :( . Wish I could try out different slotkets to find out one that fits, but they're a b1tch to find locally and mail-order return policies suck. And I'm not rich enough to keep buying new ones until one fits.

Slim---I have posted all i can on slokets. For HS/F, check
main page. There are HS reviews, also CrazyPc has a lot
of HS/F combo's. I believe they may have dimensions.
Hpoe you get it sorted out.

pappy, one more question please... what's the distance between the socket 370 on your slotkets and where the contacts begin (where the top of the slot 1 would be)?

Slim....if i understand your question, it's 1/8"....LOL!! let me
know how you make out, i feel like i'm getting my hands
dirty.....LOL!

Thx again, pappy. hmm 1/8" seems smaller than I thought it would be. Just to check that you understood me correctly: I meant the distance from the bottom of the 370 socket (where the lever is) to the contacts on the slotket (i.e. to the line where the slotket would be above the slot 1 when installed.
Just trying to figure out (since slotkets vary in height) where they get extra height: above or below the socket. There's a green heatsink on my BH6 that looks like it might interfere with a big CPU heatsink on the bottom. (and the damned power supply on the top :mad: )
I guess the best idea for me right now is to go search local computer shops for a cheap generic slotket that I can use to size things up firsthand (and if it works out well I won't complain either ;)) before I commit to a more expensive purchase.
I'll keep you posted, thanx for your help!

Back