• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Slotket confusion

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Slim_lim, had the same temp probe problem with the asus 370dl. Running a cel566@950. MBM always read the same. I found help on the Overclockers site. I have a p2b-f with the cpu temp pinout. Radio Shack has a diode for $1.80 that I laid under the retention clip right over the core. I know, it was hairy! I ran the leads over to the pinout and the bios picked it up right away. I know that I have to assume some things. I used a infrared shooter to read the point of contact and compared that to the bios. Recorded it. Then ran every monitor software that would pick that sensor up. Recorded that. Then put it all together and took an educated(?????) guess. I came up with an 8 degree compensation. It's the best I can do. And I feel safe with it. They say that the slocket should pick it up but this is what I had to do. Good luck and good holidays.

Snarkey said:
Slim_lim, had the same temp probe problem with the asus 370dl. Running a cel566@950. MBM always read the same. I found help on the Overclockers site. I have a p2b-f with the cpu temp pinout. Radio Shack has a diode for $1.80 that I laid under the retention clip right over the core. I know, it was hairy! I ran the leads over to the pinout and the bios picked it up right away. I know that I have to assume some things. I used a infrared shooter to read the point of contact and compared that to the bios. Recorded it. Then ran every monitor software that would pick that sensor up. Recorded that. Then put it all together and took an educated(?????) guess. I came up with an 8 degree compensation. It's the best I can do. And I feel safe with it. They say that the slocket should pick it up but this is what I had to do. Good luck and good holidays.

Can I ask how you set your bios..

Ie the user define..

Being Exact with everything the core the mem settings and the user define settings. I'm having some trouble upping the freaking core.

Been gone for awhile. Wife had some surgery and I did the husband thing. Core-1.8v, Fsb-112,temps.-35/26 idle//38/31 load. Level1cache-enabled, level2-enabled, level2 Ecc check-disabled, sdram config-by spd, cas-3t, ras to cas delay-3t, ras precharge time-3t, dram idle time-10t. Snoop-enabled, host bus fast data ready-disabled,pci latency timer-31 pci clock. This 31 is from the bios, sandra reports 37 which sounds right. I don't know enough yet to know why. Agp is 75. I have 2 256 sticks of unknown ram. I'll have to find out what it is. I've never really messed with any of the cas settings. Been tempted.

For me, my BIOS reads my temps anywhere between 5-10C higher than they actually are. Both MotherboardMonitor and Sandra read my temps much better than the BIOS does, I usually go by what they say.

[UPDATE]
Hi again, guys! It's been awhile (I was on vacation :cool: ) but I finally managed to carry thru with my upgrade! Anyway, I got myself an MSI Master Slotket v.2.3 for $20, because I think it was a great deal and it was the smallest I could find.
I managed to fit everything in... but only barely. The CPU heatsink touches the power supply but doesnt interfere with it. Another 2mm or so and it wouldn't have fit! :eek: On a side note, the metal clip on the Intel HS is EVIL! I spent 20 minutes trying to force it onto the tabs on the slotket and nearly broke them off.
Anyway, I'm running my Cel900 on BH6 1.01 @ 1116mhz 1.85v right now. :D It seems stable but I haven't had time to thoroughly test it yet. Using Intel cooling and so far it doesn't seem half bad.
I want to try to hit 1200mhz now. I can get it to post at 1.90v. At 1.95v. (the highest the mobo will let me) and with cheapo generic SDRAM 100 removed -- only 256mb of Crucial 133 CAS 2 left in -- I can get to the Windows desktop but there it crashes.
So what do you think might be the problem here. Do I need more voltage? I could get another 0.05v. by forcing it thru the slotket but that's the highest setting it has. Is there another way I could get some more voltage? If yes, how high (voltage) would be reasonable to try to minimize my chances of frying the chip?
Anyway, right now I'm pretty happy that I was able to get where I am without having to mod the case or buying more stuff. Glad my HDDs didn't get wiped because I'm forcing the PCI bus so high (no 1/4 divider on BH6 1.01 :( ).

Well I think its the cooling.

How are the temperatures?

Because with the Intel cooler it'll crap out where you are now so your lucky.

Don't raise the voltage anymore with better cooling though.

Although cooling for slotkets are hard since heatsinks bases are big so they come in contact with everything like the chipset or the PSU itself.

Try looking for an Alpha PEPT66.

Great overclock BTW keep trying for more if you can.

Hmm.. I guess I was too hasty to declare it stable @ 1.85v. 1116mhz. Windows works ok but 3dmark2000 craps out after awhile, typically on the CPU speed test. Going up to 1.95v seems to fix that but I havent tested long enough (before it used to crash in a matter of minutes). Been running prime95 for many hours w/o errors thogh.
I got another problem at this speed though: my USB gets screwy and I get .vxd errors trying to access my digital camera thru USB. I guess it's the 124mhz fsb :(. 112mhz is the highest I can get USB to work properly with.
In regards to getting the chip to clock higher, so far it seems that heat is not the problem but the voltage is. I can consistently eliminate the CPU instability at higher than spec clock rates by raising the voltage. 1008mhz is slightly unstable @ 1.75v but rock solid @ 1.80v. 1116mhz will run @ 1.80v. but will crash in 3dmark2000 (more frequently @ lower voltage) until I reach 1.95v. I can't get 1200mhz to post except by raising the voltage to 1.95v but it doesnt get far. Haven't tried anything higher yet.
So far the Intel cooler (one of those huge new ones) appears to be doing a good job dissipating the heat. I don't have a CPU temp sensor, but I have an ambient case temp sensor. @ 1.80v 1008mhz at full load the temp gradually reaches 34C (ok, thats not that great but my case is cramped and the airflow is bad) and the CPU is 100% stable. Running 3dmark2000 can get it up to 35C -- guess my no-fan gfx chip adds to the case temp. With my old 300a@450mhz it was about 36C. 1116mhz @ 1.95v. reaches 37C @ full load - not that huge a difference IMO -- and is stable except the USB, which I don't think is a CPU problem.
Anyway, now I want to try to raise the voltage higher still and see if I can get it stable @ 1200mhz. But CMOS only lets me set 1.95v. max and the slotket is 2.00v max. BTW, does setting the voltage on the slotket force that exact voltage or does it force detection of that volatage by the mobo and you can still change it thru CMOS? It'd be good if I could jumper the slotket @ 2.00v (btw, MSI slotket instruction says to set some jumpers to "NC" to change voltage. does it mean "remove jumper" or "leave it at default"?) and have the BIOS recognize it as the baseline and increase from there? I've also heard that you can trick the AWARD BIOS on BH6 to allow higher voltages somehow by reflashing it - anyone know how to?
Another thing I guess I'll try is some burning in. Honestly I don't have that much faith in it, but I'll try. Appreciate any other tips anyone can give.

Yeah, the re-flash trick is simple. In bios set your voltage to it's max. Boot using your flash floppy. Now flash your bios using /sn/cc switches. After flash completes exit with F10 and use the re-set to re-boot. Go into bios and set everything up. Your voltage options should now be around 2.1 max :D

LutaWiscasa too bad I didn't have a chance to try it :D

Just don't crazy and make sure your cooling is over average to change the voltage 2v+ since its basically a gamble.

Yodums
(-:

Arrgh! Can't hit 1200mhz to load past Windows desktop (sometimes dies just showing the background and no icons, sometimes with Msgsrv32.exe crash error) even @ 2.20v. Sometimes it corrupts the registry too and I have to restore the backup. Can't use 1116mhz/124fsb either because of the damned USB problems :( . Anyone else had USB crap out on you @ high fsb? So I guess I'm stuck @ 1008mhz/112fsb which isn't all that great... Although I can't complain much - at $77 total it's sill a kickass upgrade from the C300@450.

From what I've seen on the forums and posts there seems to be a curve from stat to final overclock. I started at 566 and ended up at 950. Stable. 112 fsb. I hit around 975 with 115 but it wouldn't hold. That's around 35-40% increase. (I know, ballpark.) As the start up speed increases the % of final speed lowers. Start at 700 and many people crap out at around 1000. Lower %. I think it's just that when you push the envelope (which the higher startup's are doing) to start with, there's less room for error. Like at 800 the usb may be hanging on tight to start with. You've got usb, agp, pci, voltage, temps, os's, additional software, they all have to come together at the right time to be stable and at the top end a burp in the operating system or usb can crash the whole thing. At a lower startup, there is room to pop it up right from the start. The curve seems to be geometric. I 'm staying at 950 which handles anything I've thrown at it. I opened everything major I have, minimized them and then ran sandra. Stable for as long as I ran it (6 hours.) That's where I stay. I think for $77.....great! My chip was $44 and I'm happy as a lark.

It's just too wierd. I always thought USB was independent from PCI and always ran @48mhz no matter the fsb and divider. So why does it crash?
Anyone know how to disable USB in hardware on BH6? I want to try overclocking w/o it.
Maybe it's a software problem (Win98 1st ed. - known to have screwy USB support)? After all, several people reported success with higher fsb speeds with Celly900 and older BH6s.

Yea, the USB support for Win 98 V1 is awful. The USB frequency is ALWAYS constant at 48Mhz--- you are correct. I'd disable it and try for higher. If it works, blame it on Winblows. That usually works for me. :D

Back