• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need CPU reccomendation

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Voodoo Rufus

Powder Junkie Moderator
I've been looking into upgrading my machine to an Intel Core2 system.

I was thinking E2180 for it's bang/buck and decent OCability, but what would be the best folding CPU/$, not including quad cores? I'm trying to keep power consumption and temps as low as possible.

I've been looking into upgrading my machine to an Intel Core2 system.

I was thinking E2180 for it's bang/buck and decent OCability, but what would be the best folding CPU/$, not including quad cores? I'm trying to keep power consumption and temps as low as possible.

Any E series processor with the 4mb L2 cache.

E6550 ~$170.00

Model Brand Intel Processors Type Desktop Series Core 2 Duo Model BX80557E6550 CPU Socket Type CPU Socket Type LGA 775 Tech Spec Core Conroe Multi-Core Dual-Core Name Core 2 Duo E6550 Operating Frequency 2.33GHz FSB 1333MHz L1 Cache 32KB+32KB L2 Cache 4M shared Manufacturing Tech 65 nm 64 bit Support Yes Virtualization Technology Support Yes Multimedia Instruction MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, EM64T Voltage 0.962V-1.350V Cooling Device Heatsink and Fan included Manufacturer Warranty Parts 3 years limited Labor 3 years limited

as tim said e series with 4MB cache ... atm with current wu mix 21x0's do ok but with more cache intensive wu's like we have seen in the past, 4MB cache is a much better folding investment over the long haul.

The newest steppings/models also get nice oc's with lower VC so heat and power are lower.

Are there any 800MHz 4MB C2Ds floating around for good FSB clocking or are the Exx50s the preferred choice because of progressing steppings?

Back