• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hmm nasty virus??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stang8118

Well I was using my parents computer today that I built for them, and while I was browsing the internet I got a microsoft popup by the clock saying it was downloading updates (it is set to automatic update). I didn't think much of it, so I went about my business. After it was done downloading I again get a popup to install the updates which I did. It looked 100% authentic from MS, so I didn't think twice. Well when it gets done installing I got a weird popup saying there was an error installing service pack 2. It was weird because the computer already had SP2 installed.

I rebooted the computer, it shows the xp loading screen (the screen with the bar on the bottom), but it freezes when its about to kick over to the screen to select the user. So i reboot it again, same thing...

Well After a few reboots I try to get into safe mode, and again it does the same exact thing. At this point I am pretty worried, because normally I can get into safe mode and fix whatever the problem may be. So I decide to go into the BIOS and shut off the feature that auto reboots the computer so I can see if an error message shows up. Luckily I get a blue screen error after the XP loading screen saying one of the system32 files is corrupt. Figure I can just do a repair of the system files and be on my way.

Well as its doing the repair, I keep getting errors during the install saying "such and such file can not be copied, you can skip it or retry". Retry just puts me in an endless loop, so needless to say it won't let me go forward. It isn't just 1 file doing that, even if i skip the first one i get like 30+ files that won't work. So at this point I cut my loses short and just figured I would reinstall XP completely. I chose the full reformat (not the quick one), but when I get to the part when XP is going through the install I again get a crap load of error messages about files not copying...

I just tried the XP disc using the same DVD-Rom drive but on another computer, and it works flawlessly. I put in another known working HD on the same computer giving me issues and it works perfect also...

I am not sure if maybe the HD is crapping out (its about 3 years old), or if I somehow caught a nasty virus. I am almost 100% sure it is a virus because of that stuff about SP2 not installing even though it was already on the computer. Has anyone heard about anything like this? And does anyone have anyway I can get XP back on my parents original HD?

fdisk it, repartitions and everything, if it is a virus some times they hide in the info for the partition properties. either way if you havent lost every thing now it sounds like your going to off that drive.

memory errors can also cause this behaviour, try memtest first

I doubt it, for the following reason:

Assume that the "virus/SP2" thing was just a fluke, random event that is unrelated to the corrupt system file.

A corrupt system file could be due to:

1. Virus/malware
2. Bad HDD
3. CPU or northbridge overheating
4. Bad CPU
5. Bad PSU
6. Bad memory
7. Bad windows install.

Since the PC is not overclocked and hasn't been reinstalled lately, that rules out 3 and 7

Options 3;4;5 and 6 would have given other errors like BSOD and random hangs in windows during daily use, which he doesn't have.

If it wasn't for the SP2 thing I would say you almost certainly have a bad HDD problem.

Corrupt system32 files is very common with bad HDD's.

HOWEVER! memtest is NEVER a bad thing to do. Even if your problem is unrelated to memory, like having sticky mouse feet. Do memtest! Memory errors can cause anything. Even a sticky mouse....

hehe I know I just argued with myself...

It sounds like you matched the problem to the HDD already. Install works in another computer and a different HDD works in this machine. Problem found IMHO.

3 years old? As a side question, is this a Maxtor drive? After 3 years you can expect a HDD to fail. Most brands got rid of the 3 to 5 year warrenty a long time ago. Only some brands have brought them back.

A failing HDD can cause all of the issues that you listed and your discovery does not surprise me at all.

Well thanks for the tips guys, I think I am just gonna choke up the HD as a loss. It is actually a Western Digital hard drive not a Maxtor. With the cost of hard drives these days being so cheap I will just purchase them a new one. May even upgrade the memory and CPU for them while I am at it, because this skt 478 celly isn't even cutting it for their use lol.

Well thanks for the tips guys, I think I am just gonna choke up the HD as a loss. It is actually a Western Digital hard drive not a Maxtor. With the cost of hard drives these days being so cheap I will just purchase them a new one. May even upgrade the memory and CPU for them while I am at it, because this skt 478 celly isn't even cutting it for their use lol.

Hmm, good idea! :soda:

Back