• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCing my new Q6600. It's a Dell!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Koenig

I just learnt that I'm getting a Dell XPS 720 as a gift, and that it's coming with a Q6600 CPU. Now I know Dells of old couldn't be overclocked, but seeing as how this is a "gaming computer" and that Dell does overclocking on the higher end models of the XPS line, is it possible for me to OC this Q6600?

(And yes, I know that if it was my own money, I would make my own computer, but sadly, i'm broke.)

Maybe, don't know if that model allows overclocking. I don't think all of the gaming ones do. If it does, great, if not, then it would have to be through software, and that isn't always the easiest/most convenient for 24/7 use.

Worse comes to worse, you could swap out the mobo down the line.

Maybe, don't know if that model allows overclocking. I don't think all of the gaming ones do. If it does, great, if not, then it would have to be through software, and that isn't always the easiest/most convenient for 24/7 use.

Worse comes to worse, you could swap out the mobo down the line.

I would also swap out the PSU.

Your PC might be running on cheese

I got an optiplex 755 with a Q6600, but wasn't able to OC it with clockgen. So now it's got an e6750 in it and the Q6600 G0 is in the rig in my sig :D

oh, and the Optiplex has a whopping 300W psu in it

only way ur probably gonna be able to oc it is pad mod it to run default at 333 fsb... making it run at 3.0ghz.

IMO if you really want to oc it, get another board like some gigabyte p35 board for like 150 and ull have WAY more options.

Get an X38 board and OC that Q6600!

What GPU does that come with? (Or GPU's if that's the case.)

If you're on a hurtful budget just get the board in my sig. 3.6ghz 24/7. $100.

Check the PSU and cooling capabilities of your current setup. Find out what your loaded temps are at stock freq/vcore.

Then check to see what options you have in the bios. Anything (ram settings, vcore, even frequency if you are lucky) will be helpful in getting a small OC outta that thing. If I were in your shoes I'd try the BSEL mod thing to hit 3ghz and be done with it. I would be extremely happy with a free 3ghz quad.

BSEL? Sorry, I'm pretty new to the whole OCing thing....

It is s technique whereby you "pad mod" the CPU.

This involves connecting two or more gold contact pads on the bottom of the CPU with conducting wire, conducting pen, solder etc....

If your CPU is specified to run on a 1066MHz FSB, you can fool the motherboard into thinking that the CPU should actually run on a 1333MHz FSB.

However, the CPU multiplier remains untouched.

So originally you have a CPU speed of:
9x266=2394MHz
Now you will have:
9x333=2997MHz

This bypasses the BIOS completely, so you do not need to be able to adjust anything in the BIOS. This mod has been used on many CPU's over the years in Dell's that do not offer overclocking options.

This does not increase the CPU voltage at all, although a Q6600 should do 3GHz at stock volts.

Depending on the motherboard, your RAM should typically run at stock - the BIOS should automatically change the divider for the higher FSB.

Back