• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I'm torn

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

plague

newegg.com:
Tbird 1.4...............$115, free shipping
XP 1600 1.4 Ghz...$133, $7 shipping

is it worth it? oh ya, and the tbird is an AYHJA, so I'm already a little assured of its overclockability. hmmmmmmmmmmm.

it's 3 am, and Im definitely ordering tomorrow, because the 8KHA+ just got in stock tonight, i gotta get it quick. any thoughts over night?? I'll let ya know what I decided to do.

If it were me I would get the 1600 because it runs cooler. The 1.4 TB comes unlocked and the 1600 comes locked. And I have heard that if you want to move up to the 1600 or higher later you would have to reinstall the operating system to get the full advantage of the 1600 (sse support). I hope this helps and if someone knows for positive about the sse thing please post. Hope this helps.

yes if you want windows to work with the sse you have to reinstall it or else you won't see much of a improvement in speed at all.....

hmmm... still dont know what im gonna do..........................

If I were in your shoes I would go with the XP 1600 because as kendan said it should run cooler, it has the sse support, and also because of the internal diode for temp readings. Once the motherboards start supporting this it will be a very nice feature to have. Just my thouhts though. Good luck with your decision!

I just bought the XP1600 from newegg.com and love it. I also bought the Epox 8HKA+ or whatever it is. Great combo. I'm running 1550 stable right now at 36* without any aftermarket hsf or unlocking.

remelad said:
I just bought the XP1600 from newegg.com and love it. I also bought the Epox 8HKA+ or whatever it is. Great combo. I'm running 1550 stable right now at 36* without any aftermarket hsf or unlocking.

I wouldnt trust that temp reading... 36C with stock cooling, overclocked is nothing short of a miracle. I would invest in a temp probe.

but anyway, I just ordered the XP, which is what I really wanted, and it's my christmas present, so I wasnt as broken up about the $25 difference.

remelad said:
It is also in my spare bedroom which is not heated. Room temp is only 10C ! So that explains the good temp! ;)

brrrrrrr i dont think i would like wareing a coat to go on the comp lol

Reminds me of my room ehrn I left window open in winter..
Was nice and warm till I got up out from under blankets, was as cold in my room as it was outside...i mean my cup of water was frozen.

My Athlon in sig was very cold too....17 C folding *shivers*

Back