• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

whr-g125 and bittorrent

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bLack0ut

I bought a whr-g125 thinking that it could support my mass torrenting habits, but so far, it has been disappointing.

I flashed it with DD-WRT, and decreased both tcp and udp timeouts to 90. Even with that, I can only have 30 global connections in uTorrent before the router chokes and websurfing slows to a crawl.

Anyone here have any prior experience/knowledge with this router, and can recommend any settings/firmware in order to maximize bittorrent traffic/# connections without the router hanging?

bump?

this isn't for warez, it's for free, unlicensed anime -.-

Can anyone at least tell me if I'm in the ballpark of maxing out my router?

I use the following and can browse just fine.
Maximum Ports: 4096
TCP Timeout (in seconds): 1000
UDP Timeout (in seconds): 1000

Also set an upload/download speed limit to like 75% of what your max is so you have some bandwidth to browse with.

How do you know the router is choking? I very much doubt 30 global connections can kill that router since my Zycel router can easily handle 2000 (and does). Talk to your ISP, but they might turn you away since it is a torrent.

What ISP do you have?

if its comcast, i think they just kill upload bandwidth for torrents

as far as modems go, i have a linksys router and modem, and while torrenting, i do fine.

Nope, its not the ISP. I plugged my computer straight into the cable modem and I don't experience this problem.

I've already set the upload/download to about 75%.

Dermen, what router are you running dd-wrt on? How much total memory does it have and use?

I have a Buffalo WHR-G54S, it has 16mb memory

When I first flashed it I couldn't browse at all if I had a torrent running, but after changing those settings it worked perfectly.

It's weird because I have even more restrictive settings, 90 for both TCP and UDP, and browsing is sluggish.

I think it might be a combination of both bandwidth and connections that throttles the router. At the moment, I happen to only have on torrent open DLing at 80 kb/s, UL at 10 kb/s, the router shows 150 connections, and browsing is fine. There might be a certain threshold of upload, download, and # of connections that slows the router.

For anyone who's been following this thread, I figured out what it was.

Apparently, Windows XP SP2 limits tcp connections to 10. By changing that to 50, problem was solved :)

For anyone who's been following this thread, I figured out what it was.

Apparently, Windows XP SP2 limits tcp connections to 10. By changing that to 50, problem was solved :)
And you do that where?

You can try tomato's firmware? Works better than dd-wrt imho. However they do not specify your model specifically. However I didnt check the forum, if it works for you I would reccomend giving that firmware a try

The funny thing is, the developer of tomato specifically said he wasn't gonna make a version of tomato for dd-wrt. I would have picked tomato if I could cause it has a much better QoS module.

And you do that where?

I happen to have had the patch handy. I hate zip, don't use rar.. So use your rar to open this tar file. :D lol use rar for tar... har dee har

It is self explaining. Use at your own risk.. I am just hosting this as a service. If it breaks your machine.. you messed up.. It worked for me for years.

Linky

Back