• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

This has to be the most amazing UMPC ever created!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aja

Watch the video review before you have any first impressions, then make up your mind.

Video review - this device does more than you think

In summary I would have to say that this is one of the BEST Ultra Mobile PC I have ever had the pleasure of spending time with. If I were a manufacturer of a UMPC, or with a UMPC about to hit the market, then I would be shaking in my boots given what The HTC Shift is capable of. "I put my order down right away!"

video review original site

blog entry

product page

So, do you want one?

I do!

its barely a UMPC, more like a tiny laptop. Its barely any smaller than the Asus EEE, but considerably faster and a lot more expensive.

Still, its absolutely nuts

How do Stealey processors perform?

if you check their website it is NOT available in the north or south america

just europe and asia

Well you might still get some rebranded version of this.

I have this phone from HTC. It has been sold as the HTC hermes, HTC tytn, and many others like i-mate jas-jam i think...

So you might still see the shift under orange or whatever other companies buy HTC stuff.

They are the OEM for many cellphone companies and have made some PDA's too, like the HP iPAQ HX4700 is made by them.

Too big for my tastes...is there something amazing about it I'm missing? It looks like its simply bigger, slower and has less hard drive space than mine. How much memory does it have?

its barely a UMPC, more like a tiny laptop. Its barely any smaller than the Asus EEE, but considerably faster and a lot more expensive.

Still, its absolutely nuts

How do Stealey processors perform?

From what i've read the Stealey processors aren't that great and that the newer line of UMPC's with the 800Mhz Stealey's and Vista have worse performance than the older 900Mhz Celeron's with XP, it's to bad more of them don't use the 1.33Ghz Core solo or 1.2Ghz Core 2 solo like Sony does, or even better the 1.6Ghz Via C7-M that OQO used, the Via processors are definitly much faster than the Celeron and uses a lot less power, I have a older 1Ghz Via C3 in my carpc and it definitly has better performance than my UMPC with a 900Mhz Celeron, even with the UMPC having more ram.

Too big for my tastes...is there something amazing about it I'm missing? It looks like its simply bigger, slower and has less hard drive space than mine. How much memory does it have?

What impresses me is that is has both a PDA and a Vista box built into one unit, each with their own processor and run completely independently :D

Uh, cant remember... You really need to watch that video review to understand what this device is all about

The fact that it's a tablet and mini laptop is pretty spectacular too. I'll have one the first day they come to the states, without fail. Thanks aja.

Back