• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how do u know if SLI is going? FPS not any better

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hank123

i got my 2 7900GTs and got everything set up. i activated SLI in the control panel.
i loaded css and i'm not getting any higher FPS than before. how do I know for sure the computer does see both cards.

Open ATI tool and see if both cards get hot. If they do then they're both working. Or you can set it to log temps while you're playing CS to see if both cards are getting a load.

thats what I was thinking but i dont get it any where else and it will get bigger and smaller. temps are not getting any warmer then 52-55 that i have seen. even running a 3dmark.

ok i think i figured out what it was. you can show the balance of the GPUs. it turned it off and now its gone.

but i still dont know what i dont see things better.

for BF2 unlock the FPS
open console
type: game.lockfps 200 <<this number can be anything you wish, its just the top limit for the game

That artifact is the GPU load balance bar. It shows how much load each card is getting in SLI. There is an option to turn it on and off in the drivers. Basically if the bar goes down then the bottom card is getting load and if the top one goes up then the top card is getting load. It is basically an SLI debugging tool.

Edit: BTW it only shows up in certain apps. Not all apps support it.

The BF games, IMO, dont use SLI too well. Try messing with the 3d settings for SLI (drop down options include Force frame 1 / force frame 2 / force alternate frame rendering). I set mine to force frame rendering 1 and that gives me the best performance.

Otherwise, the 'artifact' should start out green in the middle, and spread both up and down if the load is being balanced between the 2 cards.

try downloading a newer game demo like bio shock or hell gate london or UT3 or something. try it with one card then try it with 2.

best way i can think of

CS:S Does not take good advantage of the benefits SLI has to offer. The BF series does make some use of SLI, but not to its maximum potential. In order to really benefit from SLI, you'll need to run a game such as BF2142, UT3, or BioShock or the new Crysis Demo.

I was just gonna ask.. what framerates were you getting before and what framerates are you getting now? Because if your framerate is locked at its maximum, I see no reason to complain. Another 72fps on top of your old 72 isn't going to matter.

Back