• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cisco Home Lap for VOIP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zintac

Registered
Cisco Home Lab for VOIP

Hello all,

I'm currently working on getting my CCNA cert, I cant aford to take a class so i have to do it on my owen.

What im looking to do, is set up a Lab at home so i can work on things as i go along.

I want to set up the lap so i can get to my goal of CCVP cert.

$1400.00 is the max i can spend on the lab.

I was looking at this Auction on e-bay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Cisco-CCNA-CCVP...ryZ73321QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Will this do what i want it to do?

If not please tell me what i still need to get or sugest what to buy to reach my goal.

Also, i will not be ready to take any of the tests be for the current cut off dates, so i will have to take the VOIP CME 5.0, ICND1 640-822, and ICND2 640-802. so i will have to have the latest firmware and ISO for the hardware. Where can i get these from?

I also want to use the hardware around the house for things, just to play with, Like set up the phone system with my 1 inbound POTS line and use the routers with my comcast service, Just for fun and learning.

I all ready have a Cisco 7940 IP phone.

Thanks in advance

Zintac

Last edited:
Hi i am currently doinf my CCNA, i have a lab to, only got 2 routers and a switch and that was enought really, however if ur planning on getting further certs then u might need more, but for the mean time thats prob over kill, would start with the basics and build it up, i have loads of bits whioch i have never even used, like the parts need to set up a virtual ISDN line etc,

Hi i am currently doinf my CCNA, i have a lab to, only got 2 routers and a switch and that was enought really, however if ur planning on getting further certs then u might need more, but for the mean time thats prob over kill, would start with the basics and build it up, i have loads of bits whioch i have never even used, like the parts need to set up a virtual ISDN line etc,

What hardware do you have in your lab?

Was it some kit off e-bay, or just something you put together?

If you are going for CCVP then this might be ok bujt I wouldn't go for it from cisco. I mean, even CCNA might be a waste. I just did my ccna and JUST got a job at a voip provider. What might benefit you more is something form Juniper or something. However, if you DO get this thing, just a heads up, those IP phones aren't that good. Plus, you can emulate IP phones with stuff like X-Lite. IT does the same thing, uses sip and all, but its free. Might save you money...

The main problem i have is there is no way i can afford to goto a class for this stuff, i have to learn on my owen, So i guess the Cisco Cert is going to be the best for me. I'm more then willing to move to another state if i have to, to get a good job, there seams to all ways be good tec jobs around here though.

Well if you can't afford the ducation, it might be better to try and just get into the industry. I have 0 voip training and I got in fine. So with CCNA nad some experience with technical stuff it could work for you depending on where you are.

The main problem i have is there is no way i can afford to goto a class for this stuff, i have to learn on my owen, So i guess the Cisco Cert is going to be the best for me. I'm more then willing to move to another state if i have to, to get a good job, there seams to all ways be good tec jobs around here though.

Packet Tracer, or Netsim see what they offer, i spend £200 on my stuff dorm ebay,

All you need to be able to complete all of the CCNA training is at the most three routers and a switch. None of the exercises ever require more then three routers. I agree that you don't need those IP phones just use a soft phone and save some money. I would recommend staying away from simulators, they do not give you the troubleshooting experience that really equipment does.

All you need to be able to complete all of the CCNA training is at the most three routers and a switch. None of the exercises ever require more then three routers. I agree that you don't need those IP phones just use a soft phone and save some money. I would recommend staying away from simulators, they do not give you the troubleshooting experience that really equipment does.

Yeah i agree about simulaters, how ever its nice to be able to set a OSPF network with multiple areas and routers, which would cost a fortune at home, just cool to practice on.

there used to be some virtual Cisco software that could emulate a whole network on one PC, a much cheaper option

Have you tried the newest version, because packet tracer 4.3 is much much better then it used to be.

I used Alphas from 4.2 and 4.3 during my education.. and then tried the final one. I could barely get through my CCNA material without breaking it or finding a bug. Its awful man. Netsim is a bit better but not by too much.

Back