• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8800GTS 320MB -----> 8800GT?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BTK

I have an eVGA 8800GTS 320MB SC. If I use the step-up program I can get an 8800GT with 2nd Day Air Shipping for a mere $5.64

Should I do it?

I don't like that the GT is not DX10.1

I have 45 days left on the step-up program. Should I wait for the new GTS?

All with a

E6750 @ 3.44 w/ Scythe Infinity HSF
4x1GB PC2-6400 (DDR2-800) Crucial Ballstix
eVGA 8800GTS 320MB SC @ 610/1,580/975
GIGABYTE-GA-P35-DS3R
WD Caviar 250GB 7200RPM SATA
CD/DVD Combo Drive
CorsairHX 520W
XP and Vista Dual Boot

3dmark06 = 11,300

My monitors max res is 1280x1024 and I currently love the GTS as it kills everything I have played at max

----------

It looks like the GT doesen't do well with AA at high res

http://resources.vr-zone.com/floppyimage/8800gt/crysis1920.jpg

then

http://resources.vr-zone.com/floppyimage/8800gt/crysisaa.jpg

-------

step or not?

because if I stepped up to new GTS after GT it would cost me more than current ------> new GTS as GT is less expensive than current

I'd say just wait until you only have a few days left. There could possibly be something better that comes along. If not, then get in on the 8800GT. And just because there are a ton of people in front of you in the line doesn't mean you will be without a card or anything. You don't have to send your card in until you make it to the front of the line.

Wait. I had to jump on it b/c my step-up runs out today, but waiting is the best thing to do in your current position. With ATI about to come out w/ a new series there is no telling what nVidia may have up their sleeves or how far prices might get driven down.

Wait. I had to jump on it b/c my step-up runs out today, but waiting is the best thing to do in your current position. With ATI about to come out w/ a new series there is no telling what nVidia may have up their sleeves or how far prices might get driven down.

yeah, who knows, the prices could go down enough that a GTX would only be $20 more or something (Hey it could happen, right?). Waiting is a good idea IMO. :shrug:

yes you should do it, its alot fast than your current card, and will probably hold you off untill a dx10.1 card is out..

I'm unfamiliar with exactly how EVGA's thing works.

So you buy an EVGA card, hold onto all the stuff + invoice and then if you upgrade within 90 days of purchase you can do it through them and pay the difference? Or what?

(sorry if this has been explained a thousand times before, since im sure it has)

I'm unfamiliar with exactly how EVGA's thing works.

So you buy an EVGA card, hold onto all the stuff + invoice and then if you upgrade within 90 days of purchase you can do it through them and pay the difference? Or what?

(sorry if this has been explained a thousand times before, since im sure it has)

Pretty much! You pay the difference b/n what you paid for your card (based on your invoice), and what the MSRP is of the card you want. Make sure to register your card!

eVGA's website explains all the rules. You have to pay S/H and possibly taxes depending on where you live. Also, you have to send your card out first, and then wait for them to send you a new card. So, you are w/o a card for a week or so.

i'd say wait. the prices are so turbulent and crazy right now. they can only go lower. i don't see much point in ever doing a step up until the last minute. then you get the best hardware at the lowest prices.

Back