• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Some Advice On Gaming Rig

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Alteran

Registered
Hey Guys and Girls

I need some help/advice on some of the components for my planned upgrade to my gaming rig. i have done a fair amount of research but would like to ask the community for their thoughts

From another users thread asking about a system build i came across a reply from csquared asking the user for information on specifics so it can be aswered properly to which i have copied below with some addins and will answer in Red

Current System.

Motherboard - EVGA 790i Ultra Motherboard (132-CK-NF79-A1 )
CPU - C2Q Q6600 G0 step Oc'ed to 3600 Ghz (1600 FSB)
Cooler - Noctua U12P SE2
Ram - Kingston 8GB 1600 MHz
GPU - Nvidia GTX 560 (non TI)
Case - Antec DF-35
PSU - Antec True Power 750W
HDD - 2x Patriot Pyro SATA3 SSD, 1x WD 3TB Green
DVD drive
Display - 2x 42" LCD TVs running 1920x1080P :comp:

What are you planning to do with this new compuer? Please be as specfic as possible.

I am planning on using this rig for gaming and multimedia purposes, I play a fair amount of RTS Games including but not limited to Civilization IV, C&C3, Supreme Commander 1 & 2 etc as well as some FPS games such as Battlefield 2 and 3, FEAR etc. (i have found that on my current system that when playing C&C3 or SC 1,2 with max AI players and game mods allowing 1000+ unit cap (for SC, unlimited for C&C3) per player with Graphics settings to max, that after the initial build up and players start attacking each other with the s**t really hitting the fan my system noticeably slows down, 30mins of "game time" can equate to 45 - 1h+ of real time depending on the length of game play and # of units and multiple simulations battles occurring. Multimedia purposes include HD movies, encoding etc

What is your budget?

around 1200 -1500 AUD, this is just for the guts of the system

Does this include a copy of Windows?
No, As i already have Win 7

Does this include peripherals (a keyboard, monitor, mouse, speakers, etc.)?
No, As i already all the peripherals i need atm

Are you from the United States or a different country? Are you ordering from your own country or from across borders?

I am in Australia, i get most of my computer equipment from MSY Technologies, I use MSY as they are a wholesaler and have prices cheaper than most computer stores, please bear in mind that as i live in Australia due to shipping etc most prices are $30 - $70 dearer than the US but thats the price i have to pay for living at the arse end of the world :screwy: a link to their parts list and prices can be found here

http://www.msy.com.au/Parts/PARTS.pdf

Wherever you may be from, does the store that you are planning to order from have a website? It's okay if it isn't in English, we can manage.
If you are from the United States, do you live nearby a Microcenter?

No see above

Do you have any specific requests with the build?

I have already chosen most of the components for the system and are as follows

Motherboard - Asus p8z77-v (pro or delux, havent fully decided yet)
CPU - Core i7 3770K, OC'ed to 4.6 - 5 GHz (depending on chip and temps)
Cooler -Corsair H100 water cooler (this isnt set in stone if someone has a better alternative, im all ears)
Ram - 8GB 2400 Gskill Ripjaws
Ram cooler
GPU - This is the one im not too sure on, i cant decide on 2x Asus GTX660-DC2O-2G in SLI, 1x 2GB Asus GTX 680, 2x 2GB HD 7850 in crossfire, 1x 3GB HD 7970
Case - upgrade to Antec DF-85
HDD (Reusing my current drives)
PSU Antec True Power 750 (same one from current system)
possible a Bluray drive (maybe)

Do you plan on overclocking? If yes, do you have a specific goal in mind?

Yes as mentioned above 4.6 - 5 Ghz depending on chip and temps

Would you prefer the build to be particularly small?

Im using the Antec DF-85 so No :p

Would you prefer the build to be particularly quiet?

Im using the Antec True Power 750 PSU as it has a PWM fan witch reduces the noise somewhat and any additional fans im planning on using noctua PWM fans

In general, do you prefer this to be a computer that you can spend money on now and let it rest, or a box built for continuous upgrading?

This will pretty much be a build and let rest unit complete new architecture comes out then i will redo the entire system again

Do you ever plan on utilizing NVIDIA's SLI or AMD's CrossfireX technologies? These features, with a compatible motherboard, allow a user to link multiple identical graphic cards together for added performance. In real world terms, this lets you buy a second identical graphics card down the line as a relatively cheap and easy way to gain a fairly large boost in performance. However, this requires buying a SLI/CFX compatible motherboard and PSU now, which may result in slightly higher initial cost.

I am open to SLI/ crossfire as stated i am not sure with to run with, 1x higher end model or 2x lower models in SLI/Crossfire

I am primarily after advice on the graphics cards however all of the system Specs for my new rig are ones that i have chosen but are by no means concrete if someone has an alternative suggestion to what i have specified and it is available for me to get at MSY or another store at a comparable price (remember im in Australia) then im happy to hear it, however when suggesting a product please respond with a reason as to why you think this product is superior (links for me to read would be greatly appreciated). Many thanks in advance to those who take the time to respond and i look forward to reading your replies :popcorn:

I like your selections...

One thing you dont need are ram coolers, the ones that come on ram are fine (no fans, no nothing are needed)

I didnt see a monitor listed (if so I missed it) but assume you are on ONE monitor at 1920x1200 or less right? Go single card. SLI/CrossfireX isnt worth the potential hassle, the increased heat, power consumption, and lack of scaling (you do not get 2x, sometimes though rarely, none, but mostly 50-80% scaling). At that res, a single 670 or 7950 will be fine.

This guy's done his home work for you EarthDog, never saw a page posted like that Huh, by the way if you did not notice he's got 2x 42" inch TV'S @ 1920X1080P There my friend.:p:thup:

1,http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157330&name=Intel-Motherboards
2,http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202006&name=Desktop-Graphics-Cards

Maybe these 2 i have picked out because looking at the list from Aussie land you might have something the same or similar, which would make a nice set up overall.

Last edited:
Wow.. How did I miss that?!!! Thanks Ajay!

I assume with FPS games he is only using one monitor (bezels get in the way), but not sure with RTS games.

Anytime for you my good friend by the way OK with the choices i made come back to me??

GPU is fine, Extreme 3 is fine if he isnt overclocking. Extreme 4 is better than the 3 (more power planes, and they have a heatsink). There are other choices too if he doesnt like how that looks or prefers a different brand.

Since he is on a multimonitor and plays RTS games mostly, he should be OK with a 7970 or 680.

Last edited:
Since you are running dual 1920 x 1080, I would go with a GPU that has a lot of memory. 2GB at least..

BF3 cranked will use 2GB easily if it can...

I would go with a single GPU at first, and down the road if needed grab a 2nd.

Well will soon find out because he is looking now and i can see his name at the top of the page. He did say any other Mobo than Asus which he chosen etc. Tokae thats why i said a 3GB GPU if you care to checkout my link buddy?

You don't need to upgrade the RAM or the CPU cooler, the faster RAM doesn't affect gaming performance in any significant amount and the CPU cooler should be adequate for Ivy Bridge. Especially with only one or two video cards, you shouldn't need to upgrade your case either, everything will fit fine and the DF series has more than enough airflow.

This is all you need (taken from PCCG just because I find it easier to find parts):

Screen Shot 2012-10-17 at 7.52.16 AM.png

sorry i was looking up the product that Ajay57 listed, MSY doesnt have the extreme 3 but does have the extreme 4, 6 or fatality, as earthdog mentioned the extreme might not be the best for OC, how would these board stack up against the Asus p8z77-v, the reason i chose this board was that i currently have an ASUS gtx 560 and im impressed with the way it handled so i was planning on getting another ASUS gpu and to go with it an ASUS motherboard, with the theory that the being the same brand possibly less issues??

Brand matching doesn't do anything. :)

Reread what he said...the Extreme3 is an okay OCing board, the Extreme4 should do 5GHz as long as your chip is up to it. Unlike 775, motherboards play a very little role in overclocking these chips.

You don't need to upgrade the RAM or the CPU cooler, the faster RAM doesn't affect gaming performance in any significant amount and the CPU cooler should be adequate for Ivy Bridge. Especially with only one or two video cards, you shouldn't need to upgrade your case either, everything will fit fine and the DF series has more than enough airflow.

I want to upgrade the CPU cooler because under full load the temps are pushing 60+ degrees centigrade, from the reports that ive read, on high OC Ivy bridges run hot more so than sandy bridge and therefore i want to swap to water cooled, however the H100 wont fit in the DF35 but will in the 85 plus it has a usb 3 front connector where as the 35 doesnt

I want to upgrade the CPU cooler because under full load the temps are pushing 60+ degrees centigrade, from the reports that ive read, on high OC Ivy bridges run hot more so than sandy bridge and therefore i want to swap to water cooled, however the H100 wont fit in the DF35 but will in the 85 plus it has a usb 3 front connector where as the 35 doesnt

60 is nothing for those chips...you can get them up to high 80s and they're perfectly fine.

The reason i gave you that choice is i saw them on the list from OZ you gave us? The Mobo is there plus the Sapphire GPU, but as i alway's say your the one who has the final say in what you want to buy. If you really want a ASUS Z77 board i will find one,what ever goes?

P.S. Dont call me a Pommie you know what:rofl:

Hey im open to what ever, im not set on any one particular type, i have just have good experiences with asus products, and seeing as im jumping into an uncharted area, my first thought was to stick with them, however if there is another brand that will do the same or better job and is cheaper then yea ill go for that

Ps. dont worry i wont, if i did id have to call myself and half my family one too........ oh wait i already do :)

Hey its what you are happy with, we can only point you in the right direction and then its down to you. Its your build and you know whats best overall, i looked at the ASUS P8Z77-V when all the others talking. Looks fine to me fairly good reviews on Newegg. com, but the ASROCK extreme 4 is also a solid board the same. The only Diff i can see is the price on your OZ list the asrock is cheaper i think, the only thing i would say make sure you got plenty of good air flow through the case. If need be add extra fans, i know it kinda gets hot down there.

Do not wish to keep repeating or go round in circles here, i say go with the extreme 4 Mobo plus the Sapphire GPU 3GB thats it basicly best regards Phil.

Last edited:
just a heads up, depending on where people are in the world i can be about 10 -14 hrs time difference, so if i dont reply immediately then dont fret i will get back to you when i come online

No problem sir i fully understand that, in the USA there 6 Hours Diff and you maybe what 8 or 9 Hours again away from me in UK.

Hey you know what i would be scared to be in your basement, why because you never know what you might find.:chair::p

P.S. Maybe poor old Poleposition tired up and gagged on a chair in the corner:facepalm:

Back