• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

QX9650?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That's it? I thought it was supposed to be 1.5k...

I'll buy this round I guess.

PROCESSORS FOR EVERYBODY!!! :D:D

Yea its been talked about for a while now. I was hoping Newegg was getting these in today, as I need a couple things from them that TigerDirect does not stock.

This is the first vendor that I have seen listing them in stock so far. TD had it shown out of stock just an hour or two ago.

This TIGERDIRECT states: OEM Processor

I am assuming this is not a boxed retail processor?

did the QX show a fsb wall around 480mhz? i thought i saw a few that were wallin at that speed or am i wrong?

I'd say the OEM chip doesn't come with a retail box and heatsink.
But really, how many of us that will buy this chip, needs the stock heatsink!

***Goes off to buy one***

*EDIT* Warranty! OEM warranty is up to the vendor (Newegg), where Retail has a 3 year warranty from Intel.

I agree fully for my own use... but when I go to sell it, for whatever reason, its 100x easier to sell when its still got retail packaging. Not to mention it usually gets a better price. This way when the QX9770 comes out I can sell it off for virtually what I paid for it on EBay and upgrade for minimal cost.

Well, it is getting late and still no QX9650s showing up other than the OEM at Tigerdirect.

I am going to assume a bunch of people arent working on Veteran's Day or something and thats why the websites arent getting updated... I hope. :confused:

*EDIT* Warranty! OEM warranty is up to the vendor (Newegg), where Retail has a 3 year warranty from Intel.

That's exactly right!! I made this mistake with TD when the Cedar Mills were released and I bought an OEM 660 for $500. and it died on me 3 months later. It now resides on my keychain, I will NEVER buy an OEM chip again. The extra cost for retail is worth every penny.

That's exactly right!! I made this mistake with TD when the Cedar Mills were released and I bought an OEM 660 for $500. and it died on me 3 months later. It now resides on my keychain, I will NEVER buy an OEM chip again. The extra cost for retail is worth every penny.

No warranty for overclocking and/or overvolting anyway so I'm not sure what good a 3 year warranty would do.

TigerDirect is offering a 12 month warranty which you could potentially double with a credit card that offers additional warranty.

No warranty for overclocking and/or overvolting anyway so I'm not sure what good a 3 year warranty would do.

TigerDirect is offering a 12 month warranty which you could potentially double with a credit card that offers additional warranty.

If Voltage is kept below 1.3625 vcore on current s-775 C2D's you are no way voiding warranty. Intel also holds slight leniency on Extreme Edition processors. Having a retail box makes future buyers less hesitant to buy if you decide to sell in the future. Also, the chances of processor stamping (or forging the stamp on an inferior processor) are reduced to almost zilch when buying a retail box. OEM chips always have a chance that stamping occured (although highly unlikely). And as already stated you are receiving a 3 year manufacturer warranty on this processor.

The warranty is peace of mind yes, but I have never had to use it.

As Dom said, its all about resaleability. People want the shiney box and the retail warranty that comes with it. I have an FX60 up right now on Ebay and its fetching nearly $100 more than the crappy OEM versions people are reselling.

Its all about how I fund my upgrades in the future. Spending a few dollars for retail now means hundreds more in the future.

So, its a day and a half since release and still not a single retailer has it in stock?

The ONLY thing I have seen is TigerDirect's OEM version.

Back