• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PSU problem (Corsair HX620)- pc won't boot!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Panneskjegg

Registered
Greetings!

I just got a new CPU (Amd Opteron 180) and PSU (Corsair HX620) today, for my MSI K8N NEO2 Platinum MB.

For 5 hours, I have been trying to find out why my PC wouldn't boot. Switching CPU (When I switched back to the old CPU, that wouldn't work either!), ram, removing one and one device, etc... I thought my MB had died. But then I thought, hm, why not try the old PSU again.. so I did. And the system booted! It says "Amd Opteron 180 etc" in bios..

So- the problem is my new PSU. Is it it broken or what is going on here? (I bought a demo-model, so it should work!). My 7800GS+ is connected with a PCI-express cable from my PSU, 4 volt ATX, and 20pin for MB.

Anyone got any tips on what I should try/do ?

That looks good for now..hmmm, I would try calling Corsair to see if they know of any compatibility issues with your hw, and their recommendations.

Greetings!

I just got a new CPU (Amd Opteron 180) and PSU (Corsair HX620) today, for my MSI K8N NEO2 Platinum MB.

For 5 hours, I have been trying to find out why my PC wouldn't boot. Switching CPU (When I switched back to the old CPU, that wouldn't work either!), ram, removing one and one device, etc... I thought my MB had died. But then I thought, hm, why not try the old PSU again.. so I did. And the system booted! It says "Amd Opteron 180 etc" in bios..

So- the problem is my new PSU. Is it it broken or what is going on here? (I bought a demo-model, so it should work!). My 7800GS+ is connected with a PCI-express cable from my PSU, 4 volt ATX, and 20pin for MB.

Anyone got any tips on what I should try/do ?

Do your fans spin momentarily when you turn on your power supply with the rear switch? Is it set for 115v?

Last edited:
All fans are spinning..

I think I'll just send it back, and get another brand / PSU.

Don't ditch them because of one bad unit. Call them for warranty support, all Corsair units have a 5 year warranty. They're made by SeaSonic, so they are very high end, but any company will have an occasional bad unit. I'd bet that if you call them and talk to a rep you could get them to pay for shipping both ways for a warranty replacement.

Well, I don't know about that. I wrote a post over at the Corsair forum, and they think my motherboard isn't ATX 2.3 complicant. They also thought my MB was only Atx 1.3 complicant - but at least my old PSU is ATX 2.0.

As of now, I just installed my old crap PSU.

I hope my system will be up and running (without damaging any devices) until I get a new PSU...

Put your system specs in your sig (or at least make a post with what hardware you're using) and we might have more ideas :)

Last edited:
Put your system specs in your sig (or at least make a post with what hardware you're using) and we might have more ideas :)
Done!

Edit: In some other thread I made, everybody said I had to get a new PSU, because my current one wasn't any good. So I ordered this Corsair HX620W PSU. Im just wondering if my Chieftec 360W PSU will affect performance on my PC - since it is so "weak".

Back