• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

System Ideal Process

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mr_ganja

Registered
Everytime I boot my PC it takes a long time to load up the desktop, and after I get there I open my task manager and the system idle process is always taking up 90-99% of the CPU, but the CPU usage stays around 0-15% all the time.

Running Windows XP pro SP2♠

what in the world is going on?

Yes, it means it is the "system idle process" part is showing that your CPU is "IDLING", hence the CPU is doing nothing, hence low CPU utilisation. :)

No intention to be rude, just curious, is this your 1st XP installation ?

System Idle Process is a catch all for unused CPU Cycles. It doesnt put a load on the system, and is completely normal. Your problem is that you have so much running, 57 processes. Startup MSCONFIG and remove some of the startup items that you dont need. Get that down to under 40, or better yet, 30.

Even if you yourself aren't doing anything with your computer, there's still a lot of background things that XP is doing (maintaining the network connections, that sort of thing), so your processor will never be perfectly idle.

Secondly, the discrepancy is probably due to the readouts not being synchronized, as calculations such as unused CPU cycles are rarely accurate.

Back