• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crysis Troubles

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

halo_2_rocks

I just got crysis yesturday and i cant get it to work on my comp. It keeps on crashing when i click to start it.

Spec
Window Vista Ultimate 64bit
Opty 144
1gig in dual channel
ati radeon x850xt platinum edition

I believe your hardware is pretty close to the absolute minimum you can use to play the game.

I tried to turn AA on with my x1800 and it did the same thing you are talking about. I also noticed that Crysis uses almost a whopping 1gig of memory by itself. Between Vista and Crysis I was maxing out my 2gig of ram.

You might not be able to run Crysis with your setup, sorry.

yeah try running min sys specs settings you might get luck, you are looking at upgrading your gfx card and ram to play it on something better.

well since it wont even let you in the game, I would try reinstalling. Even though u have the min specs you should be able to start the game.

Vista runs excellent. It isn't a problem of it running but it crashes before it even opens. I updated the ati drivers so i don't think thats the issue

When I open it up, the screen goes black, then I get the typical Vista error message saying something along the lines of "crysis.exe has stopped working - close the program, diagnose/file a crash report etc."

Not enough RAM. You need 1GB set aside for Vista alone, which leaves no room for the game to load.

Not enough RAM. You need 1GB set aside for Vista alone, which leaves no room for the game to load.

That is correct. satandole666 also stated the same thing. In other words you're starving the game of ram, thus is why it won't even start, much less run at all.

If you want to run the game , you'll need another 1gb of ram otherwise you're SOL.

As a side note, I was getting red screens of death after 15 to 20 min of play, turning the memory clock down to 900 on my superclocked card seems to have fixed the problem.

I dont know about the x850 but the X800 Fireblade (R480 ?) does not support shader 3.0 and you cant play any of the newer games.

I read a article stating something about some of the X850's not fully supporting shader 3.0 even though it says it does. Cant find the darn article now to save my life lol.

ATI's first line of cards to support SM3 was the 1800, 1900 series. The 800 generation does not.

nvidia's Geforce6 series and on supports it.

Yeah I wouldn't even game in XP with 1GB especially with memory so cheap these days.

I wouldn't buy into the "not enough RAM" hypothesis.

Sure, you'd need more if you didn't want anything running on page file, but even with 1 GB, Windows should load it's files onto the virtual memory freeing the RAM, and then you'd have close to your complete physical memory reserved for the game.

I've run games where you'd preferably need ~700MB of memory to run well, on systems with 256MB of RAM. You just have to wait an eternity for it to load, and exit as well (reload Windows from VM).

Most likely a SM2 problem, maybe Crysis doesn't even supportit, I have no idea.

Have you updated your DirectX library?

dan

Back