• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows Media Player codec issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

oakstave

I had to get rid of the 'media player classic' Klite codec pack due to a conflict with FRAPS and ffdshow.

Since uninstalling it, I've noticed that some mpegs no longer play on WMP. I think windows media player is corrupted.

Now, I can't 'uninstall and reinstall' WMP in the traditional manner if I remember correctly. I seem to remember in XP that I can remove it as a windows component, then re-add it after a reboot to fix corruptions...yes?

Does anyone know how to do this in Vista? I'm not quite sure how to phrase this in google to get a hit.

Vista HP 32bit.

Any help would be appreciated. :)

If it is only some MPEG files that are giving you problem, then it is probably not WMP, but the lack of whatever codec is needed for the type of MPEG video being used.

Grab something like AVICODEC or MediaInfo and throw one of the problem files in it. It will tell you the exact video and audio streams being used. If different from one than you can play, then it's probably a codec issue.

The reason I think it's a WMP issue is that that these are basic mpeg files that it played before... But perhaps you're right. I'll check your solution.

Thanks Jon.

MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 are not the same, however...even though they'll both have the MPG extension. VCD-based MPG files can be a pain.

Back