• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Iwill KD266 BIOS help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JayP

I was just wondering if I am the only one with the Iwill KD266 mobo in here! It's part of the Iwill K7 motherboard series. Would also like to know if anyone knows any BIOS tweaks that I can change to make my so-so overclocked system into an even better system :D

Umm....I'll be able to tell you later tonight :D I bought my dad a KD266 along with a Duron 850, and we're installing it tonight while he's in bed (replacing his old K6-2). I did make sure it POSTed before keeping it, and the BIOS seemed pretty intuitive - set your multiplier, FSB, voltage, and maybe a memory tweak or two (gotta look at that one closer) and you're off; seemed shamelessly easy.

Well, my bro and I replaced his ageing K6-2 with the new Duron stuff. Something to say about motherboard swaps:

It's gotta be easier to do a backup, then a clean install. We did this tonight while he was alseep (so when he wakes up and sees the POST screen....Duron 866...wtf?) so we didn't do a clean install. It took well over two hours to get the old devices off the system, then worked around a bug here and there to finally install the ALi drivers and stuff...man!

Either way, it's going fine now...I'll do some heavy tweaking once he gets a chance to do a full reinstall (I'll advise him to do this tomorrow). It looked like there were some memory timing settings that you can tweak out in BIOS. If you have good memory, here's what I'd do: turn the CAS latency from 3 down to 2, then turn the timings to "fast" mode (I think default is 'normal'.) This ought to open it up a little bit as far as memory bandwidth is concerned.

Next thing I'd do (and probably will do) is to drop that multiplier some more. Then I'll try to adjust the FSB as high as possible. The higher the FSB is, the better.

Now, if I may, I'd like to ask you some questions. How accurate do you think the thermal diode for the CPU is? Also, have you run into any funny little glitches or bugs with this chipset?

I'm not too sure how accurate the diode is... the best way to find out is to have something else like digital doc 5 system monitor read cpu core temps. It has a diode that you can attach to the top of the cpu core itself, thus giving best readings. The kd266 cpu diode does sits directly below the cpu chip's core itself, so it can't be that accurate right?

as far as ALi's chipset, i have not yet to come across any major glitches. But I did find that once and a while the ALi hardware monitor software program that runs in windows crashes once and a while. not too sure if it's the chipset or win98 causing it to crash. Nothing too serious i hope.

hope this helps...

thefly.... you mention dropping the cas from 3 to 2. Where do you do that? I don't find it in the bios settings. Never mind, I just found it.

Back