• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tweaktown has a G92 GTS review up

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ChristmasGT

I'm sorry I'm on mobile right now so I don't have a link, but I was able to read it; from what I could tell it performs marginally the same as GT except better in high resolutions.

I'll post a link when I get home though (i'd imagine its on the main page)

Yeah, not nearly the scores that I was expecting. Though, he really didn't bother trying to overclock it much so I suppose there is potential to be seen still.

I hope that the guy's prediction is wrong about the 8800GT 512 magically disappearing upon the release of the 8800GT 256.

May or may not be, there is an awfuly low supply of 512 GT's. Perhaps the only real reason the 512 GT was released were to compete against the new ATI cards. And since they aren't much competition they'll pull them if they think the 256GT can compete?

Look at the 7900GT's they dissapeared very quicky if I remember (I could be wrong)

The GTS and GT being so close in performance with the same memory bus isn't a good sign to me. And they are so close in performance I couldn't warrant 50 to 100 dollars for an upgrade

There also doesn't appear to be any sign of relief for the GT shortages either

Maybe GT's can be flashed to GTS spec?

Turn a GT into a KO toss in a bigger cooler unlock some SPs and BAM a GTS
This could also be lack of sleep talking =D

Last edited:
I don't get it? The card performance wasn't that great at all. I was expecting alittle bit more than that.

Can someone answer this question, why did nvidia release the 8800gt at such a low price only 249.99? Its performance is really awesome, so why would anyone want to buy the new cards with just little performance increase compared to the GT? Its like nvidia is screwing themselves with the GT. Also why are they releasing new cards that have such little increase in performance?

My bet is that the 8800 GT was a hurry up release b/c this GTS wasn't ready. I'd be willing to bet we don't see any more GT's. I feel the GT was rushed out so they chould be out before ATi. I think things will settle out with this being the mid range card then a G92 version of the GTX. Speaking of which I wish they would have included a GTX in their test.

I dont think it was a case of the GT not being ready, since its just an OC'd 12 extra SP GT with A dual slot cooler, I think its a fact they wanted something to compete hard against the new ATi Cards, and perhaps they feel like they can make considerably more money off the GTS than the GT this probably has alot to do with the scarce availability of the GT. perhaps they dont believe the ATI cards to be much of a threat so they can make more money off a GTS than a GT?

This also may have alot to do with the outrageous temps the GT Gets too

Also still lack of sleep could be talking =D

Stupid question:

If this card jumps up to 300-odd watts at load... would 2 GTS in SLI draw over 600 watts?

If so, I may need to return my 750watt power suppy and upgrade to something larger! (Though, I'm pretty sure I'm mistaken in my reasoning here)

Awww... crud muffins. With even a light overclocked q6600, I'll draw well over 750 watts without the raptors, fans, or other components.

I had sketched out my power needs expecting a 500 watt draw at most in SLI... even the ultras in SLI don't consume that much to my knowledge.

*considers what to be done now that PSU is already in transit*

Take a look at this thread about SLI power requirements.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=535114

Check Jonny's results over on his forum too via the link at the top.

Well that's a relief. Thank you, Immortal_Hero. I thought my original estimates were way off, but this is what I was expecting to see.

Unfortunately, I was -also- expecting that the new G92 GTS would consume less power with the shrunken die... silly me.

Now I either have to send back the PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W (which is good at a constant load) or test it and hope for the best. Problem is that would exponentially increase an already high budget moving to a 1000watt single rail.

Stupid question:

If this card jumps up to 300-odd watts at load... would 2 GTS in SLI draw over 600 watts?

If so, I may need to return my 750watt power suppy and upgrade to something larger! (Though, I'm pretty sure I'm mistaken in my reasoning here)

No that is full system load not card load taking into account there. Add another 140W to the total and then thats system load for a SLI card.

Mind you a 8800GTX uses 180W give or take a few. And 2 of those can be run on a 750W PSU no issues. If a 200W+ 2900XT can be run in crossfire on a 750W PSU with a highly clocked quad, then this again won't be an issue. Your 750W is overkill and will easily power your system.

OCed Quad say 180W, board 50W, HDD/Ram another 60W, Dual GPU's 300W. Thats a crappy addition but thats under 600W and consider not everything in the system will be at "full load" and some of the values are over exadurated.

Ah... Thank you for clearing that up, deathman20.

Now that I re-read the article section, I realized they were drawing their wattage from AC results which doesn't factor in the efficiency of a PSU. Ok! I'm set with my PSU then. Especially since that model is rated for 750W at constant load and over 830W at peak.

Stupid question:

the 300 watts is for the whole system, not just for the card, so 2 cards will be like 400-450 watts...not even the Ultra draws 300 watts

Deathman beat me to it...:)

hmm thats intresting... essientally the G92 GTS only diff is its stock with 128sp's... and higher stock clocks but a lil ocage of the 8800gt and ur right up to snuff with the new G92 8800gts

i think ill keep my 8800gts 640, i like my AA at high res thank you very much.

now what will be intresting is the G92 GTX... 512bit 1gb of ram???? more sp's?????

Back