• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Recommend Decent 5.1 system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Slmhofy

Registered
Hey guys, I was just wondering if anyone could recommend me a decent 5.1 system for computer/movie use. I’ve already got my computer, receiver, dvd player and flat screen hooked up, but moved my good speakers out into the family room when I upgraded out. I was looking for something under the 200 price range like the JBL SCS 145.5 or (I’m afraid to even mention the name) Jensen JHT 525 set. TIA

Shane

yeah yeah, I was thinking about a set of these too, but can you use then with a normal receiver or do they have the jacks that you use in the back of a sound card? I need ones that will work with my receiver. Thanks again.

you'd have to movify the 530's to work with a reciever, and I don't consider them decent speakers. Besides, your amp would probably blow them.

I figured I'd have to modify them to work but didn't think of the fact the receiver might blow them. So any more last recommendations? I know this thread is boring so I just want to see what anyone has to say, then let it diiieee...

kind of hard to for me, anyways, to recommend 5 speakers for 200 bucks, I spent that much alone on my center channel speaker, and my setup is nowhere near top of the line.

+1 for the z-5500s. Look around for the best deal and pull the trigger, they're WELL worth it.

If all you have for now is a $200 budget, then I'd look at piecing together a 5.1 over the next bit. You could start with a 2.1 consisting of a couple of Polk Audio R50s from Frys.com at $59.99 a piece (awesome sale - buy separately to save on shipping...two separate orders). They have enough bass in them to last a while. I would then grab a Polk CSR from Crutchfield for $99.99 (free shipping). These speakers are timbre-matched, so they are great together.

Later on you can go with either the R150s or R300s for surrounds. They come up on sale at Fry's for $49.99 each all the time and are excellent speakers when on a budget. As for a sub, the choice is yours. Velodyne makes decent subs for not too much, but that will be your biggest purchase out of the lot. Save it for last.

I realize you may want the surround now, but sub-$200 for a complete set is not going to keep you happy.

Well when I couldn't find what I wanted (for my price range) I simply built my own speakers........but that opens a different can of worms that I am assuming you are not ready to deal with:)

But for your $200 price range here is my suggestion.

Check out Partsexpress. They have some prebuilt speakers that might just fill the bill.

Dayton HTS-1200B Home Theater Speaker Set Sale price $85
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=300-680
Dayton SUB-100 10" 125 Watt Powered Subwoofer Sale price $105
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=300-633

Buying both products together would qualify you for free shipping. But I am not sure how long they will keep these prices...

While not a "high end" set up I am sure they will sound great...

if nothing else it is worth a look

If you just want speakers, you might want to look into the Klipsch 5.1 system (just five satellites and a sub). It uses speakers similar to what was offered as the Promedia ULTRA 5.1, and will retail for approximately $200. Its a much better built and sounding system than most of what has been suggested and you can of course use them with any cabling and amp you wish.

Back