• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cpu cleaning procedure

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chrome-187

i just got my e4300 and it was dirty and had some thermal paste on it...i usually just use rubbing alcohol to clean my cpus and heatsinks...is there anything better around the house that i might have or should buy or should the alcohol be adequate cleaning? thanks in advance :)

Last edited:
i just got my e4300 and it was dirty and had some thermal paste on it...i usually just use rubbing alcohol to clean my cpus and heatsinks...is there anything better around the house that i might have or should buy or should the alcohol be adequate cleaning? thanks in advance :)
If you just mean around the house, that will be the best you can get. If you can, get higher concentration, it will clean better.

If you want to order something, this is the absolute best you can get:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Description=arctic+clean&x=0&y=0

the alcohol i have is 91% isophryl...thats high enough i assume? its been awhile i cant remember... lol

Yes, that's high enough...and is usually as high as you can get in a drug store. Avoid the 70%(ish) stuff.

yea i noticed...i actually got this from the dollar tree store...when i go to walmart or osco drug all i can find is stuff in the 70's and 80's....weird i go to the ghetto store and they have the strongest alcohol at even a cheaper price...

The only thing better would be Acetone which Viperjohn turned me on to recently. You have to be a bit more careful though because it can and will melt normal plastic but the PCB components on electronics are fine. The fumes can be bad for you too. But man does it cut through junk like no tomorrow.

Also I picked up a few microfiber cloths from an auto store for around $4. No leftover fibers that way, that's being pretty anal retentive about it though :D for the most part any 'lint-free cloth' or cotton q-tips (not paper) is good.

For a very cheap option, I find coffee filters work great...disposable, no lint and abrasive enough to pull the sticker AS: Ceramique off as well.

Back