• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BallistiX PC6400 Timings, Vista fails to Boot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bvillepc

I recently built a new system with mostly familiar brands, except for the RAM. I have never used Crucial before and I have a perplexing issue. I currently have 4GB (1GBx4) of BallistiX PC6400 DDR2800. It's timings are advertised as 4-4-4-12 (2.2v), but my Gigabyte 965P-DQ6 motherboard's BIOS says it's running at 5-5-5-18 (1.8v). So, to my understanding it's running slower than it should be. Is that correct? When I try to manually set the timings to 4-4-4-12 with a DDR2 Overvoltage of +0.4v, Vista (Business x64) fails to boot, the system just reboots. Here is a screen shot of CPU-Z confirming my claim:
cpuz-screenshot.jpg

And here is a screen shot of my BIOS setup, currently set to Auto, but you can see my manual settings in light blue, they are what cause Vista to not boot:
bios-screenshot.jpg

I have also tried changing the DRAM DLL Option to Option 2, but Vista just gave me a BSOD Stop Error. Why can't I get my RAM running at the advertised speeds? Thanks for any input!

Your screen shots are not showing.

I would run Memtest86 to see if you are experiencing errors in your memory. I would also try just running 2 x 1GB to see if maybe 4GB is hindering your performance. In the end, you will not notice the change from CAS4 to CAS5 in day to day performance.

Back