• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help with speech recognition software selection

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Theocnoob

Speechrecognition software doesnt seem to be something i hear much about lately.. but i assume new versions are still being released...

can i get some recommendations? i remember dragon used to be good...

i also need a mic but i assume you want to use a higher quality microphone to reduce the softwares error rates.

help me out guys im sick of typing ans would like to relinquish my keyboard to just the use of asdw shift space and ctrl:beer:

The guys so I decided to use the speech recognition in Windows Vista. The deer I don't know how to speak English at where this isn't very good speech recognition software in any case I thought it would be interesting to see this all in speech recognition and then transfer it and posted here. It's interesting that it can actually take up what you're saying all below in today's day and eight when even the Nintendo DS and see what you're saying and a reason it will that it actually put Nintendo DF properly?
Maybe they have some kind of deal with Nintendo or maybe some neared at Microsoft is actually going through every single product ever made by Mandy D and capitalizing and animating as necessary I actually said annual meeting but it's a pain in the king.
Any ways as you guys can see I either don't know how to speak very well which is a pretty good possibility for speech recognition socks and down scene is it just puts socks instead of socks there isn't put socks again maybe I don't know how to say sox properly too bad the computer can't copy downing long sigh.
When I had my theory a long time ago when I had my pure read a long time ago. Mike. Fully shared why campus parking and copy down the barking word. Many ways as you can see it done really the screw up a fair bit I didn't really say anything about a guy named Michael Mckean your socks or anything

So any ways I think that one serious drawback of this speech recognition software as far as I can see is that when you say a word that is actually a command in a sentence, it doesn't copy of the Bach down. Now as I said I'm not actually correcting any of the mistakes
I'm starting to think that a lot of this spam E mail I received is actually just people talking to their speech recognition given the high level of the error in spam.
But here I am ranking because it never really used speech recognition before and I think it is cool.
The sad thing is that you sort of have to talk like a robot 482 have the optimum level of accuracy I said 482 four eight true wholly crack

Any ways I guess I'm just kind of having fun poking around in seeing how crappie the software actually is
Sure this would have impressed of the house are in 1989 or maybe the gain from Beverly hills 90210
But when it says something like being instead of gain what am I supposed that a Albright device got bought my first one in OK with silvery defines

It seems to me that speech recognition software are actually is not really passed its infancy yet at this point at least not at the consumer level

But anyway it is still faster than the typing every single word that I want to say don't you think I know I couldn't have written anything this one in the amount of time it has taken this software to do it for me but the sad thing is that I am now talking like a robot do I want to spend the rest of my life talking like a robot?
I wonder if dragon naturally speaking is better than windows instead speech recognition?
Because I notice that if I take a really long pause between words with windows this to eight is more accurate than if I try to talk been a normal way white cell of user to one and weighs in with my friends as Nevada's PlayStation through a
Do you see what I mean look what happened back there when I tried to speak in my normal voice I wonder how on't I heard, like this before I went completely insane from talking like a god damn robot I am not eight buck the bought with a buck is a buck the baht
I hope you have enjoyed reading that the balk rule that is this post and speech recognition software in windows XPI mean this this to Windows Vista vista vista windows 3.11 windows NT four a is an interesting that I can't say the name of archaic windows operating system and it still writes down the proper word but if I try to say Mac OS X's leopard OK that's actually pretty impressive I think I'm done for now as the novelty has worn off

Dragon Naturally Speaking 9.5 works with Vista, I personally use it with no problems

Will it work with XP, and do I have to talk like a robot?

I guess ill need a decent ($30ish) mic as well?

thx
It should work. And Dragon seems to have this amazing reputation for "just working" really well.

I tried earlier versions with issues, but that was a few versions ago. Since I got Vista I wanted Dragon and am happy with it. When running through the voice traing routine, you find out how to talk, but not like a robot and the more you use it the better the program learns how you speak, pretyy cool

I picked up a $10 microphone... which Im assuming will be inadequate... I'll find out in an hour when I finish 'BUYING' dragon... ehem...

okay so I picked up Dragon NaturallySpeaking 9.5, and it's a lot better than the speech recognition in Windows it doesn't seem to make as many mistakes as the other program so I'm pretty happy with it. I think it'll make my life easier, as far as typing those which I don't really like to do. It still making a couple of mistakes here and there as you can see, but overall it's a leap year ahead of the Windows Vista, speech recognition, which was pretty crap. And I'm only using a $12 microphone, which is what I really can't believe because I thought I would need to buy at least the $30 microphone to be able to use speech recognition with a very low error rate. But here we are, and I think it is only made one error so far. Okay, make that two so what do you guys think?

Was it worth the $12.
:beer:

I use a headset with mic attatched, also go throught the training a couple of time, it's gets better as you train it to your voice patterns, yes it's time consuming - but for myself it was worth it

Back