• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quad-Pumped you up!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kylehug

Registered
Hello all, I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the best clock speed is to be running my DDR2-800 sticks at to appropriately match the FSB on my Pentium D 935. I'm a little confused about the whole quad-pumped thing that intels have, and need a little guidance.

BTW: The Pentium D's FSB is 800MHz

Last edited:
Hi there. That processor is a 3.2ghz dual core, w/ 800mhz fsb. It has a 16x multiplier.

Your FSB is really 200mhz, 'quad-pumped' to an effective 800mhz. If you take that 200mhz, and multiply it by 16 you get 3200mhz.

If your ram is ddr2-800mhz, then you can run your ram in a 1:1 ratio, but the second you overclock (I'm assuming you are), you'll have to dumb down the frequency. Many motherboards do this for you, many require you to select something manually. Be careful not to OC your ram past 800mhz, ram is easy to fry. You CAN give the ram more voltage, but.. its safer to drop the ratio.

I hope this helps.

Hi there. That processor is a 3.2ghz dual core, w/ 800mhz fsb. It has a 16x multiplier.

Your FSB is really 200mhz, 'quad-pumped' to an effective 800mhz. If you take that 200mhz, and multiply it by 16 you get 3200mhz.

If your ram is ddr2-800mhz, then you can run your ram in a 1:1 ratio, but the second you overclock (I'm assuming you are), you'll have to dumb down the frequency. Many motherboards do this for you, many require you to select something manually. Be careful not to OC your ram past 800mhz, ram is easy to fry. You CAN give the ram more voltage, but.. its safer to drop the ratio.

I hope this helps.

umm no a 1:1 @ 200fsb would yeild a ddr2 frequency of 400mhz... you would have to be running at an FSB of 400 @ 1:1 for the ram to run at 800mhz... i think you probably ment a 1:2 ratio in which the ram base freq. will run 2x as fast as the fsb... thus giving 800fsb.

I hope this helps.

Hmmm..... I think there is some slightly incorrect info that has not been pointed out yet as well (Sorry Nightelph:()

You certainly can overclock your ram without much (if any concern) with frying it. Overclocking your ram can typically be accomplished on stock voltages without fear of problems. What CAN fry your ram is shortening (tightening) your timings. This has some risk involved because unlike increasing the Mhz rating, tightening your timings typically requires reasonably large increases in memory voltages (Vdimm).

If I am the one who is incorrect, please do correct me, but this has been both my understanding from reading as well as my own personal experience.

I have managed to kill ram by running the frequency too high without giving it extra voltage, so thats the experience I was drawing on with my above statement. Not sure that you're 'incorrect' tho.

I have managed to kill ram by running the frequency too high without giving it extra voltage, so thats the experience I was drawing on with my above statement. Not sure that you're 'incorrect' tho.

Not wanting to detract from the OP's post, but I find that to be an interesting statement, but one that I have a hard time accepting at face value.

If ram is run outside of specs (overclocked), without giving it add'l voltage, then as a general rule it will simply fail and produce errors, errors which can easily be identified by proggies such as Memtest. When the clock speed is reduced to a level that the modules can operate at (within the voltages provided), it will return to proper operations. I can't thing of anything that would happen to it when running at higher frequencies that would "kill" it, except perhaps a poorly ventilated system that would overheat. Why would you draw the conclusion that the sticks died as a result of being run at frequencies over stock and not something else?

Take, as an example, a module of DDR1 manufactured with Samsung TCCD ICs. These ICs were rated by Samsung to be a DDR466 part (PC3700), yet all of the major memory players produced modules using these same ICs in sticks rated as (1) PC3200 (underclocked, but tighter timings), (2) PC3700 (as spec'ed), and (3) PC4000, PC4200, PC4400 and PC4800 (all of these were "overclocked"). All used the same ICs and in many cases, the same PCB (BrainPower).

If simply running them at higher speeds than the manufactured rated them at would cause their death, then none of those other binned modules would have survived in the market, yet, they did and are still out there running in many rigs. The same story could be told for Hynix and Winbond based chips.

Similar DDR2 examples exist based on Micron D9xxx chips.

Keep in mind that sticks fail for a variety of reasons that may not have had anything to do with the speed at which they were running...they may have died within the same timeframe even if never overclocked a single MHz.

Add'l voltages, outside of specs and beyond might cause it die, but I can't quite buy that higher frequencies alone would cause their demise.

Sure would appreciate if anyone else can chime in on this because I'm curious.

Has anyone else had ram die from running it faster than what it was spec'ed for, but without giving it add'l voltage? I don't mean fail Memtest...I mean flat out die.

To the opening poster...what motherboard and ram are you using?

Are you wanting to overclock your processor or will you keep it at stock? If you are not going to overclock, then as was already posted, with the 1:2 divider you could run your processor at 200MHz (x4 = 800 FSB) and your memory at 400MHz (x2 = DDR2-800).

If you share your intents and desires, along with your system specs, I'm sure that you'll get all the help that you need.

My understanding is that voltage and heat kill RAM. You should be able to increase freq, and tighten timings all you want as long as you don't give them too much voltage or let them get too hot. This is why a lot of manufacturers don't mind if you OC the RAM so long as you don't give it too much voltage.

My understanding comes more from reading, though, than experience. I've never had a set of RAM die on me...yet!

(looks for wood to knock on.)

Back