• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8800GT w/ Peltier - OC Help?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xslashpract

Registered
Not too long ago, I received a notice from eVGA concerning my 8800gts rma that stated in short, "there is nothing we can do" (smooth move on my part using arctic silver thermal adhesive). S' a good paper weight now -sigh-

I then purchased a BFG 8800gt OC, which is currently running in my computer now, pelt cooled (Swiftech Mcw-60T), with yes, you guessed it, arctic silver + ramsinks on memory and mosfets. There are 2x80mm fans on a pci-rack that keep the ramsinks cool. Stock clocks were something like 625/1625/1800

I am currently at and, thus far, stable to:
Core : 800
Shader : 2000
Memory : 2000

Idle : 4*c
Load : 15-25*c (depending on room temperature)
Ramsinks stay quite cool.

I was wondering if there is a way to push my card more, as temperature is not a problem. Are there any other regions i should be aware of as far as cooling is concerned? I heard there might be on the back side of the card? Any volt-mods currently for the card? I've played around with the core/shader/memory ratios a bit, but this seems to be the best performance thus far, unless someone knows otherwise. I might mention that I have gotten the core to 850, and in some tests to 900, however it was not stable at all, and the driver crashed after 10min or so in various games. I am running vista ultimate as well.

3dMark06 was close to 16,000. Wanted to get it a bit higher.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Q6600 B3 @ 3.6 stock vcore
Asus P5K Deluxe
4gb Dominators @ 1088mhz
BFG 8800gt OC
PCP&C 750 Silencer
WD 2x250gb 7200rpm Raid0

what about the pci-e bus speed (?) in bios that is currently set at 100; will significantly raising it change my overall stability?

if you get it to 110 orso it will cause errors in your hdd and could even corrupt your HDD, also I don't think your gfx card will really like it, just leave the PCI-E bus at 100

Do you have a source for such a statement? Not trying to be a jerk, but I have never heard that, and it sounds a bit far fetched to me.

I've heard of plenty people that have gone up to 115 and even 120 w/o a single problem at all. Maybe if you were reaching 125-130 it might be a concern...

I believe PCIe is on the SPP (North Bridge) and HDDs are on the MCP (South Bridge) if using just your stock SATA ports on the motherboard. I don't see how OC'ing the North Bridge a bit will cause data corruption on the South Bridge, unless you change it ALOT.

That being said, my advice would be to leave it at 100mhz. Not for the reasons specified, I just don't think it will provide much of a boost at all.

Last edited:
i thought the PCIE interfaces were directly connected via the cpu?? or does it have to travel through the northbridge first?

i thought the PCIE interfaces were directly connected via the cpu?? or does it have to travel through the northbridge first?

motherboard-busses.jpg

I know it says AGP, but PCIe didn't change it.

I have heard of people's sata hd's not working due to this feature at higher speeds, however I have also read several statements from people saying it was a possibility for higher oc/stability, though not proven.

Someone told me about a chip on the back of the card (close to the aux pwr, U502 chip?) which might need to be passive cooled?

Does anyone know of a volt mod for this card or the link to the new bios?
I'm guessing ViperJohn volt modded his to get his insane clocks?

I had my PCIe speed set to 110MHz for a long time, and I often had crashes when I was gaming where my screen would go black with my comp still running. It would just all freeze up and blank out. I never thought the PCIe clock would have caused it, but I reset the speed to 100MHz about a month ago and haven't seen the crash since. Take this with whatever validity you want.

Not too long ago, I received a notice from eVGA concerning my 8800gts rma that stated in short, "there is nothing we can do" (smooth move on my part using arctic silver thermal adhesive). S' a good paper weight now -sigh-

Huh? Is there more to this because eVGA covers after market heatsinks.

Also main XS Voltmods.

Volt: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=163929
OVP/OCP: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=162124&page=5
BIOS: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=164242

wow there are a lot of BIOS' being thrown around in that forum.
I'm guessing i should avoid the 8800gt -> 8800gts bios softmod ?
i still don't know which bios i should get though.

Which of them is going to give me the most voltage without a hard mod?
The 1.2v modded bios by blackiice2007?

Back