• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Inspiron 1520: from Vista to XP killed my messengers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DarkPurity

HELP!

I recently acquired a Dell Inspiron 1520. 256MB 8600M, the T2150 processors, lots of good stuff. I'd like to say it worked great in Vista.

But it didn't. Vista the memory gobbling crashOS drove me nuts. Constant hangs in Oblivion, CTDs in HL2, wireless networks i haven't been near in 2 weeks showing up on the connectivity list, and Vista parking my HDD after 15 minutes even though I told it not to were just the beginning.

I Hate Vista.

So I installed XP Pro. My confusion is this: I loaded all the drivers for my equipment, yet suddenly, while i can get to the web on a browser just fine, Second Life and EVE Online seem to be a loss. They behave as if they dont see the net at all. No firewalls are running, all services and processes for all system internet protection are stopped, and nothing. I've tried reinstalling drivers, rebooting, "repairing" the connection, etc. Still no luck. I didn't have this problem in Vista. Any thoughts?
I've also tried disabling the physical network port. No luck.
They both behave as if they can't see any connections to a network at all.

I'm having similar problems from Yahoo Messenger, and when I tried Trillian, it couldn't connect to any accounts.

Back