• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vista: need Recommendations for Firewall and Spyware software

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Route44

Okay, I did a search for both Vista and these items but nothing came up. Of course I could have worded my search wrong. Anyway, my daughters laptop is used mostly for college work but she does surf the web, etc.

Right now she sits behind a router, uses AVAST! free edition anti-virus, and Windows firewall and One Care.

I'd like to find good firewall options and antispyware/malware software that gives her laptop layered protection.

Any suggestions or will I be forced to use an internet suit such as Kaspersky or Norton 360 or their newer 2008 suit?

One other thing, light on resources would be a real big plus because she only has 1 gig of RAM right now, an issue I will rectify when she comes home for the summer.

Thanks.

It's good now although I would get rid of One Care.
Using One Care with Avast is redundant and might be causing conflicts. If you want "lite" on resources, then just run Avast and the windows firewall. The fact that she is behind a router, plus the two programs, should give her excellent protection. Also keep Windows Defender running and updated regularly.
Spend the money alloted for a 2008 suite on adding another gig (or more) of RAM.

Have fun!

Hey, thanks guys for the responses. They are much appreciated. My daughter goes back to college this Sunday and so I want to make sure I can do everything possible to provide greater security.

redduc900, is Comodo user friendly? The reason I ask is because my daughter is a novice when it comes to security (I am the one in the house that takes care of hardware, software -- basically everything) and from what I have heard Comodo 3 takes some serious tweaking and I won't be there to help her. Also, Spybot and Spywareblaster are two programs I have not used in some time. Would it be too much to ask how their detection rates are? And thanks tons for the links.

Quick69GTO, thanks for the tips on Vista. I know virtually nothing about this OS though from my daughter's experience it really has worked out well for her. She hasn't had any conflicts yet but I will go ahead and disable One Care. Pardon my ignorance but is Windows Defender the name for the firewall?

I used comodo on XP, but I haven't installed it yet on vista. Is it any better than windows defender? I liked comodo a lot, but does it provide anything that defender doesn't?

juane414 said:
I used comodo on XP, but I haven't installed it yet on vista. Is it any better than windows defender? I liked comodo a lot, but does it provide anything that defender doesn't?
Windows Defender is spyware protection software, while Comodo is a software firewall.

I used comodo on XP, but I haven't installed it yet on vista. Is it any better than windows firewall? I liked comodo a lot, but does it provide anything that Windows firewall doesn't?

Fixed ;^), and no it doesn't

Back