• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DDR2 timings question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mrpringle

Registered
Hey,
I have a core 2 duo e6850. 2 x 1GB OCZ PC2-6400 platinum (4-4-4-15) and 2 x 1GB Corsair PC2-6400 C4 (4-4-4-12)

From some prime95 tests I've come to the conclusion that can either set the memory timings to 4-4-4-15 with 2.05V or leave it at 1.9V and have the timings at 5-5-5-18. I'm just wondering whether there is much point setting the DIMM voltage 150mV higher for such a small decrease in the timings.

How much will the lower timings affect application and gaming performance, because so far I haven't noticed much of a difference. Then again is 150mV going to make much of a difference to the power consumption (and heat) of the DIMM modules?

Personally, I would definitely go for the tighter timings. I've heard people say that up to 2.2v without active cooling should be pretty safe. What frequency is your ram at?

If you're interested in the performance difference, you could try something like superpi and 3dmark at each timing and get a better idea.

Ok thanks. The ram is running at 800mhz. Although you said it's safe to run the ram at 2.2V without extra cooling (and I do have 2 very noisy case fans) is it going to cause the modules to run quite a bit hotter with the lower timings I mentioned?

From a quick search, your OCZ and corsair are both rated up to 2.1v anyway, it should be fine.

Back