• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Perormance difference between 2x1gb, and 4x1gb

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Careface

Is it really that noticeable? Im pretty dead set on my next pc being a Penryn build, as my Venice 3000+ is really starting to lag, so Ill have to try DDR2 for the first time. Also, partly because they are nice sticks, and partly because they look so damn cool (sometimes aesthetics is more important :p), Im going to be going with the Ballistix Tracers.. problem is, they dont come in 2gb flavours that I can find.

Ive seen 2gb ram run nice on vista, but I think I could definitely benefit from 4gb. So Id need to get 2x2x1gb kits of tracers.. **** that would look awesome by itself.

But I hear anymore than 2 sticks reverts to 2T timing, and possible instability due to the mem controller being taxed.. also, would that make ocing all 4 sticks more difficult? I could get the 1066mhz variant for an extra $40 NZD ($188 for 2x1), but if the 800mhz variant will OC decently with 4 sticks, may as well get the slower versions right?

Any ideas? :)

as was previously made clear to me in another thread, 1t vs. 2t doesn't make much difference with the exception of benchmarking.
as i have stated elsewhere:
personally, i try to stay away from running 4 sticks because no 2 pieces of hardware overclock the same and with 4 sticks, it is more likely that one of your sticks mights hold you back from reaching the memory speeds that you want. granted, the same might happed with 2 sticks, but you have a better chance of finding 2 sticks that both overclock well than you have of finding 4 sticks that all overclock well.
if you want 4 gigs you should do 2x2gb. if would rather stick with 2 gigs you can do 2x1gb. either way, i wouldn't use 4 sticks.

i realize that he wants tracers and that they only come in 1x1gb sets. if he were to do 4 sticks, it probably wouldn't be a problem. but, when you're dealing with more componants, there's a greater chance that one won't overclock well.

Hmm, thanks for the replies :) I wonder why Crucial hasnt released tracers in 2x2gb yet, given that the norm is shifting towards 4gb.. if there was a 2x2gb kit, I would be all over it. I guess what I could do is get 2x1gb and see if it runs decent enough, and then get another set and see what happens..

Just realised I totally screwed up the thread title.. "Perormance difference".. my laptop keyboard is totally screwed haha

EDIT: Actually, how does Intel's memory controller work? with the whole "quad pumped" thing Im a little confused. If I were to get the Q9350 Penryn (1333mhz bus), and 1066mhz tracers, what would bottleneck what? Do we take into account "rated" bus (ie. 1333mhz) or "actual" bus? (333mhz*4=1333mhz)? If the later, wouldnt it mean that if I got 1066mhz tracers (533mhz actual) then it would be faster than the 333mhz actual FSB, so itd be running with some FSB ocing headroom, or what?\

As you can tell, Ive not owned an Intel system since.. ohh about a P100 that "turboed" to 133mhz :) some fairly new terms coming in here for me ;D

Last edited:
I went from 2x1gb to 4x1gb and have noticed no difference in anything, although i'm only running XP32bit.

Your max oc will be lower with 4x1gig vs 2x1gig

I will attest to this (though I only modestly o/c anyways). I was running 2x1GB tracers 1066 and could get them to run 1170mhz at 2.0v and 5-5-5-12 timings. When I added another 2GB I could only get 1140ish with the same volts/timings. With more volts theyd mostly likely to better but I'm not eager to fry another set of tracers :(

if you're dead set on only ballistix tracers, then the benefits of 4gigs of ram outweigh the loss of a few mhz's in your OC. That is assuming your RAM maxes out before your CPU does.

btw, I ordered 4 x 1GB of ballistix tracers, will be in my system tomorrow.

Back