• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What do you charge(hour) for tech support

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Crash893

"The man in black fled across the desert,
Hi all,

I have a few jobs coming up and i always seem to wuss out and charge next to nothing when it comes time to get my money

I was wondering what do you typically charge per hour of tech support

and if you don't do it by the hour then how do you do it.

Thanks

Crash

Tech support over the phone or in person?

In person, the support averages at between $40-$60/hr (I was looking at craigslist recently and this was what people were charging)

I personally do $25/hr because I want business and I have no degree's or certificates, only experience.

At work?

I get paid salary, I can break it down if needed but it will be a rough estimate at best and that doesnt include times where there is no help needed.

Personally? Whatever I feel like. If you come at me with a holier then thou, rude attitude, I charge more. If you act like an adult and treat me like one, I charge much less or comp it out for dinner etc..

wow,

two of the jobs i need to finish up are in DC.

1) is setting up two laptops ( what ever the hell that means) and they want email set up to. I am thinking of setting them up with Gmail and just have outlook pop3 it.

2) is a mac user who wants to move over her quicken files
i think im going to go with a virtual machine for this one because i heard that quicken files don't convert very well.

I was corporate tech support before (college town, pay was abysmal), but now I'm in school focusing on my CCNA/CCNP. I'll let you know when I finish :D

At work?

I get paid salary, I can break it down if needed but it will be a rough estimate at best and that doesnt include times where there is no help needed.

Personally? Whatever I feel like. If you come at me with a holier then thou, rude attitude, I charge more. If you act like an adult and treat me like one, I charge much less or comp it out for dinner etc..

Same here :beer:

At work I get salary, about $3.50 an hour, yes it's really low but I am only 17(but have enough experience)

If I do it for myself and can find customers, about $40 an hour, $5 for fuel(only go in my city).

heh, last time I worked 3 hours and I got paid the same amount as I would at my work working 32 hours..yes it's crap

At work I get salary, about $3.50 an hour, yes it's really low but I am only 17(but have enough experience)

If I do it for myself and can find customers, about $40 an hour, $5 for fuel(only go in my city).

heh, last time I worked 3 hours and I got paid the same amount as I would at my work working 32 hours..yes it's crap

For a minute I was about to say thats illegal, but then I saw your from the Netherlands :beer:

For stuff done in my personal time, I usually charge $50/hr with 1/2hr minimum. I live in a small town(<2000 people) and usually have 3-10 jobs in a month that I do on the side of my regular job(which is a computer Tech). I have found that many people are ok with this nice even amount. Most of the places nearby charge anywhere from $95 to $300/hr, look at the Geek Sqaud and how much they charge for simple things. Even where I work as a Tech, we charge $56/hr. I live in a different town that where I work, so I see no harm in getting side work.

if you'd only see the look on people's faces when they see a 17 y/o coming to fix their computer, it's priceless :D

Meh... People should be used to it by now. Us younger folk pick up technology much easier. I had a hard time building credibility when i was younger but once you get good word of mouth advertising going. It provides you with a good amount of side jobs till you get sick of cleaning out spyware. I know i I did

if you'd only see the look on people's faces when they see a 17 y/o coming to fix their computer, it's priceless :D

My 19 year old daughter and 15 year old son ask my 11 year old son for tech support all the time! I love it!!!! :)

Most of my tech support is for family and friends so it's free! One thing that is starting to bug me is I'll build a computer (For my sister in law) and a few others and a year to two years down the road they are still calling me for issues with the computer, which is ALWAYS caused by them downloading something stupid. I would love to start charging now, maybe the phone calls would come to a screeching halt!

$25/hour, minimum 1 hour, plus fuel to destination, for basic technical support.

Anything security related gets me to $45+.

ya i post an add in craigslist for my area for computer fix it..

i charge essientally $50 bucks the first hr (1 hr minimum) and 25 bucks an hr for every hr after... Essientally i charge 25 bucks for fule and travel time and then 25 bucks an hr, 1 hr min. but its easier to say 50 bucks first hr...... But i do do like people said above vary pricing on what actually needed to happen and how the people act.

One thing i do is before i even start i thourghly explain my pricing that away the person cant - - - me out of money... (i cant say that word any more cus ONI thought it was a RACIAL SLUR thus giving me a warning... check my profile... even though i had used it in an even lighter context in a different post... its bs if you ask me, thus the Disclosure in my sig :p)

HAHA it truely is... before i go to an odd job computer fixit dealio ill shave my face thus making my self look real young (currently 18) and its great to see their reaction.

Last edited:
For a minute I was about to say thats illegal, but then I saw your from the Netherlands :beer:

I was thinking the same. Minimum wage here in britain is $7.50 or £3.75

When I was working washing dishes to get the money for this build (im 14 find me a better job il do it) I was on $9 an hour.

look at the Geek Sqaud and how much they charge for simple things.

Ya, some places near me charge ~$40-$45 to install ram. RAM. Yes, the little chip that takes under a minute to install.

Never really got anything official, got an educational internship at one place that didn't pay but after a few months when it ended I got $200. After that its just random jobs in the family, (I insist that I do it for free but my families a pain in the a**. Theres $20 from the grandparents for installing a printer and some ram, took about 15 minutes so I guess you could consider it $80/hr, then another $30 for transferring files from my cousins old computer to his new one, took 45 minutes so I guess thats $40/hr.)

Back