• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problems setting up my FTP Server

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dlk289

Ok so i followed all the instructions setting up no-ip and fileZilla server but when ever i try to connect i get an error

i type ftp://keenan.myftp.org/ into my adress of EI and i get this error

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Windows cannot access this folder. Make sure you type the file name correctly and that you have permission to access the folder.
Details:
The connection with the server was reset
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I notice that port 21 was being block so i scanned my ports and it said 80 was unblocked, so i port forwarded it in my modem and router just to make sure and i still get the same error. It doesn't even prompt for a user name and password like a thought it would when i type in ftp://keenan.myftp.org/

Any suggestions?

Whats your issue? The no password/username or you cant even get to it? Try the inside ip address if your trying to access the server that is inside your network.

how do i turn passive mode off? under passive mode settings all i have is default, use the following ip, and retrieve the extrenal ip adress from. then there are check boxes "don't use external ip for local connections" which is checked and use custom port range which is unchecked

For filezilla, set up group and give it permissions and home dir. Then do a user, and add to group. Do connection settings. Now forward port for ftp on your router. I never messed with passive on/off or any other "higher" settings, just simple crap and we're off and going.

All done.

i think i got it, i change back to port 21, even though it was block, my freind was able to connnect, and just used my router ip to access it instead of my outside ip. Is there a way where i can just use my outside ip even though i'm inside my network?

thanks for helping guys

Last edited:
Try forwarding ports 20 and 21 to the server's static private IP address and make sure you open them up in any firewall you might have running on the server. Then, when someone goes to access ftp://Your_Public_IP_Address they will get your FTP server.

Back