• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will an OC'd E2140 bottleneck an 8800GT?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zepfan1232

I'm building a system and I'd like to keep it around $500. I have some parts. I'd just like to be able to play some newer games. I'm thinking I will get good performance if I overclock an e2140 to 3+ghz. Will I have bottlenecks with this processor or will it perform acceptably? I know I will get responses saying go to an E4500, but cost is really an issue here so I am thinking long and hard about this. Thanks guys, great forum here!!

a good overclock on it and it should be an acceptable gaming rig, you can get that chip to probably 3.2ish on air and you'd have a nice gaming rig. Although the higher up chips would be better, you will still get decent performance out of that.

i'd vouch for the e2140. It is a very nice chip, and you can upgrade the chip in the future if you feel the need to. I have mine chugging happily at 3ghz with only a slight bump in voltage.

E2140 @ 3ghz+
gigabyte P35 DS3L
2 x 1 pc 6400 // DDR 800
8800GT 512mb
7200.11 500gig seagate hard drive
corsair 520HX

If you already have a E2140, theres no need in upgrading unless you're getting a quad-core or one of the newer 45nm chips. If you can crank that puppy to 3GHz+, then it will play nicely with a 8800 GT.

you only have $500 to work with, but do not skimp on the psu. I'd rather drop down to a 3850 512mb first, before ditching a high quality psu.

you only have $500 to work with, but do not skimp on the psu. I'd rather drop down to a 3850 512mb first, before ditching a high quality psu.

I do have a good 500watt PSU that I am switching out from my brothers pc. He is not a gamer so I am giving him my 350watt. The 500 watt psu has something like 28A on the 12V and has been reliable for my bro, so I think I am alright.

I do have a good 500watt PSU that I am switching out from my brothers pc. He is not a gamer so I am giving him my 350watt. The 500 watt psu has something like 28A on the 12V and has been reliable for my bro, so I think I am alright.

whats the make on the psu?

But to be honest a E2140 even ocd to 3+ ghz and a 8800gt isnt gonna need tons of power, i know i could run the rig in my sig no problem on a seasonic 380w psu.

whats the make on the psu?

But to be honest a E2140 even ocd to 3+ ghz and a 8800gt isnt gonna need tons of power, i know i could run the rig in my sig no problem on a seasonic 380w psu.

PSU is an Ultra V-series. It isn't an Antec or Seasonic, but it's better than most I'd think.

go with the gigabyte P35-DS3L, you won't regret your choice.

Oh, never saw that board. Thanks for the recommendation, I'm glad there are still affordable ATX boards out there. Seems like all the cheap ones are mATX.

Back