• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Formatting an external HD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dlk289

I just bought a new hard drive, Western Digital Passport. It's a small 120gb hard drive that runs solely off the usb connector. It came with a bunch of what i like to call crap on the hard drive, extra programs, autorun, and disc management. Those are probably help full with people that had a hard time figuring out how to plug the device in however, i don't want any of those things on it. I can right click on the device in My Computer and click format but i thought i might ask some people in the know if that is the right thing to do. All i really want is for my external hard drive to act like my usb flash drive; a clean directory to do whatever i wish with.

thanks for the responses

I would go into disk management to make sure there are no extra or hidden partitions on the drive that hold special software (like C3 flash drives have). You can get to that by right clicking on My Computer and going to Manage, then Disk Management. You can format from there once you are ready.

Back