• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is Avast Free Better Than AVG Free Edition

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AngelfireUk83

I downloaded a set-up file to a program the other day I scanned it with AVG Free and latest definitions and it was infected with 7 virus' and a couple of trojans. AVG Free didn't heal 1 of them and I have noticed in the past that when I've gotten a file thats infected it will not heal them ever.

Just looking for a more better virus scan I don't want Norton or McAfee there too much on system hogs and frankly there bloatware to me now. I was looking around forums and 1 person mentions Avast now finding a review it's been voted the worst.

Just wondering if anyone uses it is it better than AVG and is it that bad to be called the worst in Anti Virus products. I am also looking in Kaspersky Anti Virus and sticking with Zone Alarm free edition to work with my Linksys wired routers firewall so far it's worked great.

I installed free version of Avast for a friend & now we are enemy's lol

Don't use it imo it really stinks and is a virus in and of its self avg_free is much much better
altho its not perfect.

You can try Trend Micro Free Virus scan at there website
http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en-US/

go there and on the left under HOME & HOME OFFICE is free online services which will clean viruses & files sometimes cant repair only remove

Last week I had a chance to directly compare Avast free and AVG free. My instructer brought his Girlfriend's computer into class and it was crippled with virii. We found a couple in System32 and put them onto a thumbdrive and loaded the drive into a fresh WinXP install loaded with both Avast and AVG. Avast found one of them, and named it correctly, but missed the second. AVG found both of them, but maned one 'generic_backdoor'. Personally, I couldn't care less what it calls it as long as it is eradicated. Some in the class, however, felt it was better to have them named correctly.

I personally run AVG on my home network, but all the packets it gets from the internet pass thru ClamAV and I have yet to get a hit on a virus.

Why didn't we just load these onto the infected machine, you ask? Well, we tried. Neither of them would install onto the infected machine. We concludedthat it was due to the virii themselves preventing the AV installations.

Well AVG 8.0 Free Edition is out to download as anybody upgraded I did and I find it ok-ish uses a lot of memory it loads 4 start-up items all around 45mb in total.

It's ok for me with 2GB but I'm speaking on the lower user who may only have 512mb etc the new version comes with a Anti Spyware scanner & Link Scanner. The latter seems to play with with google my search results show smalls green ticks or red X's lets you know if it's legit pretty nice feature.

Now a bad free program I just did a re-install of XP with a slipstreamed SP3 and all seems ok with it no problems just a little slow at getting to my desktop.

I use AVG Free. I used to swear by McAfee years ago (10+) but then I switched to Norton Antivirus, but it got bloated back in 2003, I found AVG and have been happy ever since. I also keep a firewall running, what AVG doesn't catch, the firewall does. And periodically, I run antivirus.com on the machine. Only 2 small issues in last few years, nothing major, AVG caught them.

Again, to each their own. I've had a couple viri that AVG missed but Avast picked up right away. Some people here say that Avast has missed some things that AVG caught.

Personally Avast works for me and have caught anything and everything I've thrown at it.

I have used both in the past. I like avg more tbh, my friend runs avast and has had a couple infections that he sent me via email and the avg email scanner found them right away. Avast said his machine was clean....

Back