• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sub-room temp readings on opty 170 in windows... why?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

revefel

Registered
I'm getting sub room temp readings on my Opty 170, which obviously is incorrect, and I can't figure out why. Here's my current rig:

Biostar T-Force 6100-939
Opty 170 (currently at 250x10 and seems to be perfectly stable)
4x512 Corsair XMS
Arctic Freezer 64 Pro
evga 7950GT KO @ stock (stock being the factory OC.. 550/700 I believe)
250gb sata drive and sata dvd burner
Audigy 2zs sound card
Antec Super Lanboy case with 2x120mm fans
Antec 430w PSU (true power 2 I believe... my old PSU took a crap on me about 6 months ago and that was the best they had at the local shop).

I pulled all my other drives, card reader, etc, and put them into a second rig that I'm using for downloading and file serving and such, so this rig is pretty much dedicated to gaming.

I'm planning to upgrade the PSU(probably corsair 520) and video card(8800GT) in the near future, but that seems irrelevant to the problem.

CPUID hardware monitor and coretemp both read my CPU temps at around 12-15C at idle, which is obviously wrong.

The bios shows cpu temp at boot up at 33C or so which seems more reasonable, but I want to get a correct temp reading at load to see how far I can OC this opty.

Is there a more reliable program for reading temps? or any other solution?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

mike

You could try speedfan, but CPUID HW monitor has been a good one for me. I would try flashing/updating your bios first. I seem to recall having this same issue with my Biostar motherboard when I first got it. I would check Biostar's support and download section for the latest driver and see if that takes care of the problem. If you motherboard reports the correct temp then your sensors and hardware should be fine, so it must be a driver/bios issue. You could also try downloading the latest 6100 chipset drivers for your motherboard, which should be on Biostar's site as well.

Bios and Driver link.

Back